Earliest use of 21 Speed on a MTB

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Hello RETRO

I'm new to retrobike but I'm not new to MTB, been at it since mid 90's and have come to realise I like old bikes more than new and thus have purchased a few off ebay. My latest aquisition looks old possibly 80's or early 90's but its make is unknown.

Trying to date it and thus would like to know when 21 speed transmission started to appear on MTB's as this is whats fitted and also when did freehubs replace freewheels as the standard on mid to high spec bikes.

Finally is there much RETROBIKE activity north of the border especially near Edinburgh. I ride at Glentress whenever I can but seldom see anybikes more than a couple of years old !

velomaniac":1l49wnco said:
Trying to date it and thus would like to know when 21 speed transmission started to appear on MTB's as this is whats fitted and also when did freehubs replace freewheels as the standard on mid to high spec bikes.

I have a shimano manual for a Deore freehub dated 1988 if that helps to date it, however check out www.sheldonbrown.com for all the answers!

On the other point you made: "there is much retro activity north of the border" surely this is just due to the legendary caledonian thrift? :LOL:

Welcome to retrobike mate, sounds like you'll fit right in!

I have just read www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html and it seems that Uni-glide ran from early to mid '80's and that Hperglide cassette systems (all 7 speed) ran from 1987ish onwards.

Uni-glide was also avalible as 7 speed and so therefore 7 speed cassette hubs were avalible from shimano before hyperglide so (in true shimano style) the answer is not as easy at it could be! ;)

Back