Look MI80 . First ride out page 6

Nice bikes these - nice and clean looking.

I have a copy of MTB Mountain Bike Monthly from September 1992, it has a test on the mi90 - full campy groupo - in black. Exactly the same decals though so I think its a '92.

For what its worth I think it should be built up with a full Shimano XT or Mavic (if you can find/afford it!) with nothing too bling in the way of components - try and preserve that plain understated cool look.

I have a feeling I have some more info stashed away on the old mags so I'll keep an eye out.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cleaned the look up a little yesterday , going to touch paint in anywhere thats is a bit tatty ;) ,, overall really good condition..

Not really sure which direction this one is pulling me really, but thinking as it was XT specced to do a slightly racer little no. .. :)

Thought about M900 as CTK mentioned as it looks uber cool, and in my opinion maybe the finest MTB groupset they ever produced.. :) but a little to bling for this build,,

The mavic route is interesting and the pure of you might think thats the only way, but although very beautiful ,, too rare and precious maybe to use.. and maybe not race bred at heart.. :) , so I'll let you mavic boys hold onto it to hang on the wall :)

So as BITD the bike would have been XT specced I thought I do a slightly racer little number.... :)

Put a few bits on to get a general idea of size and stance.. ;)

IMGP1412.jpg

IMGP1421.jpg

IMGP1411.jpg

IMGP1409-1.jpg

IMGP1413.jpg

IMGP1410-1.jpg

IMGP1417-1.jpg

IMGP1408.jpg

nevadasmith :) if you have any scans or more info , I'd really appreciate a look.. :)

Going to see what comes in information wise as to my final build.. but the front mech will be replaced with maybe an ultegra as I'l going to run 2 x 7.. the gripshifts will be replaced with XT thumbies , brakeset not too sure what to use,, thinking XT , but suggestions would be welcome,, :)

I'll update again maybe tomorrow.. :)

:) Arrived super quick fella, never expected hyperspeed delivery :LOL: :LOL: cheers.. :)

Not sure if it will stay or go, but think it works with the direction for now.. :)

Yep like it Si. I would like this in my stable! Sachs Wavey shifters match the decals nicely but think the Flexstem clashes a bit mind.

I agree that Mavic would be too difficult to find and too pricey anyway. M730 is good I think it would have had that originally. 600 rear mech is getting to be your trademark :cool:

What brakes are you thinking of? M730 cantis I guess?

Sithlord":9jkocg4v said:
nevadasmith :) if you have any scans or more info , I'd really appreciate a look.. :)

That is looking great - the use of a racing bike rear mech is an ace touch, I used ton run a 105 rear mech BITD.

I'll get looking through the mags (when I get a chance between feeding and nappy changing my 6 day old son!) scanning could be a week off before I get back to work - but I could mail you anything useful I find on a loan so you can scan it yourself.

I can give that flex stem a home if you decide not to keep it!

:LOL: yea like the ultegra mechs, as I used to race with them bitd ;) always found them reliable :) and cheap to replace :) , going to use a ultegra front mech too on this I think , again as used bitd :) only going to use 2 x 7 so will be quite snappy for chainging gear,, and less hassle in the winter.. :)

Yea agreed on the griphifts/flexstem,, might repaint that white to match frame,, :)

brakes,, yea thinking canti's but would prefer to use the low profile design over the wider armed version but I know these came out in later years to the frame.

not sure on tyre choice either yet, going to try some black and ambers on,, ;)

I'have got an original Look saddle and an original Look handelbar. Both are NOS, it come from a MI80R. If interested MP ;)

Back