Rear radial spoking ???

Ditto the man 916. But we're obviously good wheel builders ;)
Yes if you go crazy in the tension, I've seen others crack flanges. But then nuke proofs did that anyway!
Mustn't do it drive side as the torque tries to twist the hub so the spokes are tangent. Similarly snowlakes pull up lopsided under torque on the driveside. But half snowflake rear is poss too, or half crows foot if you really like reading spoke tables!

I seem to remember that some hub manufacturers wouldn't warranty their hubs if radially spoked and others would let specifically tell you that their hubs could be radially spoked without problem.

Pinguwin

Have it on 2 road wheels and had it on one more until the flange snapped after a paltry 5 years ;) of total abuse on my winter bike.

Never tried it on an MTB though. And on a retro themed bike.... don't go there. It wasn't done BITD. In fact to date I have never seen an MTB with this spoking pattern (concept wheels excluded). Even radial front wheels were very unusual at the time.

My own take (on my road wheels) is that it looks nice, saves a gram or 2 and gives you slightly more even spoke tension with many hubs. But I won't be building any more wheels for myself of that type, when the ones I have wear out.

I wouldn't say that this pattern was common but I also wouldn't say that it was unknown. It was known enough that many manufacturers said that it would void their warranty.

I was buying a bike in the fall of 1989 and all the wheels from the shop were this pattern. They would use Bullseye hubs for a number of reasons, one of which is that it was strong enough to be radially laced.

BITD, did I see bikes like this? yes, but not everyday.

Pingwuin

Latest posts

Back