Shimano 600 pedals. What Cleats? What shoes do I need?

toomski

Retro Guru
Hi All

Could you help me out with a question. I'm building up an 80's bike. I have these Shimano 600 pedals and toeclips. see photo attached.

Got all excited because the looked good, not thinkin ahead about cleats and shoes....just not clued up!

My question is what cleats and shoes would I need? What shoes would be good with these?

Excuse my ignorance. All help is appreciated

regards

Toomski

Attachments

• CIMG5164.jpg
    CIMG5164.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 5,887
  • CIMG5165.jpg
    CIMG5165.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 5,887
  • CIMG5166.jpg
    CIMG5166.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 5,887
The Cleats will be hard to find (the original ones at least) But if you find the cleats you need original look compatible shoes as the cleats are 3 bolt Look style.

I have a set of cleats and the requisite bolts, however I'm holding onto them for now until my son can get used to clipless pedals / shoes - then might move the whole lot along, albeit with the smaller toe-clips.

Be aware that the metal toe-clips are actually not all that strong (they break at the bend around the toes) and finding replacements is also quite hard work. Last time I saw some for sale I just bought the lot.

The nearest equivalent was the plastic Shimano 105 toe-clips from the same era and they were a bit more resilient as they were plastic, but I don't recall many saying much good things about either sets. They are not as nice either in appearance.

As they are cleats they were locked under the retaining bracket which sits atop the toe-clip holder and onto the back plate of the pedal and there was absolutely no float / flex or lateral movement in use, therefore not all that comfortable to use. Would probably be very good on track and I understand the original same period Dura-ace models are much sought after for this reason. They cost a bomb if you can find them.

Good luck though because otherwise they are very nicely made pedals - if you take the axle out its all very well built and the set I have are 18 years old.

You may get away with standard cleats that just drop onto the backplate, but they have to be quite short front to back because of the low-profile nature of the pedal.

Make sure the toe-clip retaining bolts are tight as well, they did seem to loosen off in use. Suspect they would be hard to find as well.

For the cost it might be easier to get some Look pedals instead - either way you are going to be standing on a big pile of plastic which isn't that easy to walk in.

Cheers

D

(edited multiple times!)

Difficult to find nowadays.

PD-6400_Cleats.jpg

i have the same pedals but cant find any tradiotnal toe clips to fit as original ones broke as only plastic

Doesn't every single pair of shimano shoes come with a simple old style "slotted" cleat ,I know they dont have the wings that this pedal wants but would still work surely.

Back