Rear radial spoking ???

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
anyone ever done this before, are there any advantages to it.

Just curious

DSC03187.JPG

Non drive side only for posing and garage queens only. :D

Saves weight at the expense of strength. IMHO radial on the front is fine as most riders can loft a front wheel easier than a rear, also the front takes less load than the front and it is even less risky with front suspension.

Radial on the rear makes the drive side spokes tranfer all the power as the non drive side tries to mishapen the rear wheel. Not ideal!

long story cut short dont dont even think about it its not worth it dont dont dont dont dont it wont be pretty and i dont wont to be the one that told you so :cool:

have 4 bikes with radial non drive side and never broken a spoke etc, currently haveing one build this weekend, cant be to bad as the new mavic crossmax's are radial drive side and the over £600

looks the nuts do it!

:D

Had it a few times on my time-trial bikes but never on an MTB. Maybe time to try it out! (off to garage to find suitable rim and hub!!!)

I've had a pair of Mavic crosslands for years, they are radial everywhere apart from drive side rear, no problems yet and they look cool too!

Go for it ;)

I took it a step further, went with DT competition 2.0/1.8 spokes on the drive side and DT revolution 2.0/1.5 spokes on the nondrive. I ended up going single cross in the nondrive because I could use the same spoke length as my front wheel. I have been running these wheels for 5 years, never hard to true them, and I break the 200lbs mark. I even have a bent spoke (caught a branch) and they still run true. Hub is a sram 9.0sl and rim is a WTB powerbeam.

jango":2cqvrcd4 said:
I've had a pair of Mavic crosslands for years, they are radial everywhere apart from drive side rear, no problems yet and they look cool too!

Go for it ;)

Same same with my current set of Crossmax Mk1s, strong as oxen.

The only difference with Crossmax to the photo up top is that the Mavics have straight pull spokes i.e. no 90deg bend at the spoke head. Also, the obvious strength difference is the amount of flange the spoke head has to pull against. I think for that reason they are weaker; seen a few rear Ringle hubs that have failed for this reason.. There's a thread on this somewhere I'm sure..

I've got four sets of wheels, Cane Creeks (both Ti & steel spoked), that are radial front, radial non-drive side in rear. No problems with them over the years.

Pinguwin

Back