My other Raven - 99 Chromalusion Purpleen Mk1

Mr Footlong

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Folks.

First off I don't do rebuilding of old bikes back to how they were originally. I like to stick modern parts on there that normally work better, feel better and go better. If you don't like it then tough ;).

Here is my 2nd Raven, a Mark 1 in Chromalusion Purpleen. I sourced it as a bare frame and rebuilt from the ground up. She rides beautifully, I honestly cant think of any way that I can improve her, really really happy with the end result and she comes in at dead on 26lbs. :D

Specs:

Cannondale Raven Mk1 in Chromalusion Purpleen, new headset and swingarm bearings
Cannnondale Lefty Speed Carbon SL 110mm fork with green project 321 lefty cap
Risse Astro-5 Rear Shock
XTR-M970 Shifters, front mech, rear mech
FSA Team Issue Megaexo XC Carbon Chainset with green NC-17 chainring bolts
Time Atac Carbon XS Ti Clipless Pedals
Formula R1 Brakes with Ashima 180mm sawblade rotors and North Shore billet rear bracket in green
Spinergy Xyclone Wheelset
Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution Tyres
Dr Sludge self sealing tubes
USE Atom Handlebars
Cannondale 140MM Stem
Cannondale Lefty Multitool (fits inside steerer tube)
SRAM PG990 rear cassette in green
SRAM PC991 Chain
Controltech iPost Carbon Seatpost
SDG Bel-Air RL Ti saddle
Spezialized Zee Bottle Cage
Green anodized bolts pretty well everywhere I could put them and gold Ti bolts for the important areas.

Pics:

P1000231.JPG

P1000232.JPG

P1000234.JPG

P1000236.JPG

P1000237.JPG

P1000238.JPG

Cheers,

Nick :)

Thats really cool :cool: But I just don't like those frames, they look too much like the Trek Y frame bikes.

Thanks, I tried to make it all work as well as possible. The thing that was the hardest to figure out was what colour to go for with the anodized bits! After sourcing bits literally from all around the globe over about 4 months I ended up with something I am happy with. I am just trying to get a 180mm Green IS front bracket and that should be that.

What I really can't get over is just how nice the bike feels when combined with an up to date Lefty and the Risse Astro-5. I have ridden a lot of bikes in my time and never got on with full suspension but am head over heels for this bike. The Lefty is so smooth, nicer than my old Fox forks on the D-Jab and a million miles away from the headshok on the other Raven. The Risse just works, end of. Even with no lockout on the rear shock the frame is a great climber for a full susser. I have really put the power down on some heavy climbs and the lack of bob and the rate at which I continue to climb makes me grin from ear to ear.

I am sure I will regret saying this but I don't see me ever, ever selling this bike unless my legs drop off. I put a stupid amount of time, money and effort in to her but feel that I have something really unique and special as a result :). Having 2 ravens is a bonus but I am selling the other one now to make room for a Turbo Trainer. Any bike that makes you smile from the second you get on til when you get off is a keeper surely. The fact that she screams for attention when out and about is merely icing on the cake ;).

Cheers,

Nick :).

I'm also not a fan of this frame, but with the right bits thrown on it looks fantastic. Nice work.

thel33ter":2gqq09fq said:
Thats really cool :cool: But I just don't like those frames, they look too much like the Trek Y frame bikes.

That isn't the fault of the bike. Actually, it looks too much like the Alu Cannondale Super V frames (strange that ;)), which were around from 1993 if memory serves and also predated the Trek Y design by 2 years if Wikipedia is correct ;). If you don't like it because you think it is a poor copy then it is actually the other way around. If you just plain don't like it then fair enough but what's not to love babeh? :)

Nice job, I reckon you've definitely hit your objective :cool: I'd love to see it in the flesh, I'll bet the pictures don't do it justice.

Back