Macretro Glentress National - Organisational Notes

Guys, happy to lead the DH groups if interested.... even on a rigid I'm still going to be pretty handy

Although if someone could "loan" me a set of 100mm forks 1 1/8th I could build DS2 and properly show them how it's done - given it's from 99 it's almost retro....

I'm happy to ride as sweeper on either hard or easy routes, pull folk out the trees, rescue bikes that sort of thing.

Might I suggest RobMac, if he is a first aider as he has said, bring his medic kit with him just in case.

I still think the black climb is a very doable and old school choice with great veiws but the red descent from spooky will be the biggest grin factor for the adrenaline junkies.

velomaniac":3o1fdr6q said:
I'm happy to ride as sweeper on either hard or easy routes, pull folk out the trees, rescue bikes that sort of thing.

Might I suggest RobMac, if he is a first aider as he has said, bring his medic kit with him just in case.

I still think the black climb is a very doable and old school choice with great veiws but the red descent from spooky will be the biggest grin factor for the adrenaline junkies.

Not having been to Glentress it is sounding more terrifying with each post added. I have visions of destroyed bikes everywhere and mangled riders wedged up trees.

You'll be fine, I have not had to extract a mangled rider from a tree in.............well................at least a few weeks ;)

Tazio":q1k6jziq said:
velomaniac":q1k6jziq said:

Not having been to Glentress it is sounding more terrifying with each post added. I have visions of destroyed bikes everywhere and mangled riders wedged up trees.
Best not to ask Velo about his broken collar bone Spooky Woods run then :D

Actually, I think first timers are likely to get on better due to simply being more cautious on an unknown trail, than folks who know it well and are used to riding it at speed on a modern bike :shock: Note to self...

velomaniac":2yl6ch9o said:
You'll be fine, I have not had to extract a mangled rider from a tree in.............well................at least a few weeks ;)

It's the youth that worry me. Young guys on full suss bikes seem to be oblivious to danger or surroundings. Even the Water Of Leith path can be a danger with them hooring past at full speed on the rare twisty bits. Though I did have a good laugh at one attempting to get up a set of steps without slowing down. He shot past me as I stopped to shoulder my bike to walk up them. He managed about 4 steps and bounced (literally) into a huge bush.

clockworkgazz":2tlqpixz said:
on the klunker? What size body bag you take :shock:

Extra extra extra extra large mate. I need to be buried with my old Alfa remember.

I've done spooky on the Klunker before. I wasn't going that fast as there were a few guys on modern 5" full sussers holding me up.

Glentress

i'll hopefully be coming to this with another 5 bikers! so it should be a good day out!

what sort of time is everyone planning on meeting at on the Sat morning? as we'll all be driving through from in and around Glasgow.

Cheers

Greig. :cool:

Back