The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specialized Rockhopper Sport (Womens?)

I have a 14" Specialized Rockhopper Sport that I think is a womens, based on the colour scheme shown in the 1990 catalogue in the archive. It is sort of greeny/turquoise with Pinky-purple decals. However mine has the brake beneath the chainstays, which is not the case in the catalogue - maybe different spec for uk as catalogue is germanic?

The bike is pretty much original and in decent nick, as always garaged, I've had it from new so can vouch for that 100%. It has various bits of Deore LX stuff on, STI triggers, 21 spd etc, as per the manufacturer spec. Only things not original are seat, tyres, and front wheel. The frame has some chips and cable rub, but zero rust or dints. I still ride it to the shops occassionally and everything works superbly. I've kept it maintained because I love how it rides.

Currently trying to fund a new new build and wondered if the old beauty is likely to be worth anything? Any ideas - I know Spesh of this era is reasonably collectable?

I'll try and post pics later, but I've just broken mi camera while in the garage trying to photgraph it!

I've got a couple of bikes i'm think of selling or part ex'ing and wondered if someone could give me an idea of what they are worth.

The first is my custom built dave yates (the second will follow later when i've rescued it from my parents house). I do know that when this bike was built it was put together with some of the best parts available at the time.

Some details

Dave Yates Diablo Frame
XT Front and Rear Derailleurs
Suntour XC Pro shifters
XT Break Leavers
XTR V Brakes
Pace Forks (not sure what model maybe MXCD?)
Ritchey Seat Post
Flite Titanium seat
Ritchey Force stem
Titanium bars (not sure hat make as label has rubbed off) - MAYBE X-LITE
Middleburn crank and front chain rings
Hope hubs (front and back)
FIR M122 rims

Owned from new the bike was originally put together by Neil Walton Cycles in Didsbury in the early 90’s

Bike serviced by North West Mountain Bikes in Cheadle in August 2006 and not ridden since

And now for the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2458.JPG
    IMG_2458.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,021
  • IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,021
  • IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,021
  • IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,021
Re: Specialized Rockhopper Sport (Womens?)

Tuppers":1txydr3y said:
I have a 14" Specialized Rockhopper Sport that I think is a womens, based on the colour scheme shown in the 1990 catalogue in the archive. It is sort of greeny/turquoise with Pinky-purple decals. However mine has the brake beneath the chainstays, which is not the case in the catalogue - maybe different spec for uk as catalogue is germanic?
The smallest size used a chainstay-mounted U-brake. Larger sizes came with a seatstay-mounted cantilever.

Currently trying to fund a new new build and wondered if the old beauty is likely to be worth anything? Any ideas - I know Spesh of this era is reasonably collectable?
The last few early nineties Rockhoppers I've seen sold on eBay have struggled to clear £50. A very nice one might get up around the £100 mark.

Have a look here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110272

Specialized Rockhopper Sport (Womens?)

Many Thanks One Eyed Jim -

I'm not sure I want it to go for less than £50 - but it is better than those that were on the link you attached. Food for thought though - may have to stick it on ebay with a reserve. It's either that or pimp it up and embrace the retro-vibe.

Would it be likely to generate much more broken down into parts and sold do you think?

Again, Thanks for your opinion

Tuppers":2xyojmy4 said:
I have a 14" Specialized Rockhopper Sport that I think is a womens, based on the colour scheme shown in the 1990 catalogue in the archive. It is sort of greeny/turquoise with Pinky-purple decals.

even at 14" frame size, I thiink a women's frame would have an obviously 'dropped' top tube. If it does, let me know - I've been looking for one for my daughter (to match her mother's) ->

rock01.JPG
[/img]

Specialized Rockhopper Sport

Sorry Clownfish your daughter will have to wait.

Based on that, it must me a mans bike - I did think that 1990 was a tad early for Specialized to have been producing women specific bikes that didn't look like shopping bikes!

Its not metallic like that one of your wife's either.

I will post some pics when I get a new camera! (Hopefully tomorrow).

Thanks

@ itsaretrovibe

Thats a nice Dave Yates fella , my guess is you should be looking at around £400+ ;)

Tuppers":2cuhd6y2 said:
Many Thanks One Eyed Jim
A pleasure.

Would it be likely to generate much more broken down into parts and sold do you think?
Perhaps a little more, but probably not enough to justify the trouble, unfortunately. There's not all that much of a market for parts of that age below the XT level, even in good condition. Its main value is probably as a cheap, dependable runabout for a smaller person.

Whyte

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could help I have a retro bike its a Whyte PRST1, its hardly been used it has some cosmetic scratches on the ends of the handle bars.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it is worth ?
I was told it would sell for about £750 ????

Really sorry guys but I cant attach the file it says it is too big?

Whyte PRST 1

Hey all

This is the pic of the bike

Any comments welcome

Thanks

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1,876
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1,876