best/worst "impulse" buys?

weps

Devout Dirtbag
generally, im pretty good with knowing what i want and not getting carried away. this afternoon, though, i got sucked into a buy-it now pair of nos xc pro pedals for 149.00. it is my preferred pedal design, but i can't say that i actually needed them. now i'm just like wtf. :roll:

im not saying i regret the buy, just that it probably was just a little too quick. along with that, i have had some good scores due to impulses as well...i'm just curious to see how many others have a similar affliction.

Mine was a blue Hershey hub that has a see-thru plastic outer casing so you can see the axle with "hershey" on it spin round. Its a 28 hole and anodised blue. very nice but cant see it being built up...

tioga disc, when I saw a nos on the bay, boxed tools and bag never laced, i bid staright away, I remember the close out time being less than 10 mins or so, and being charged with a few stella's put a silly bid in, shocked only to find that I won the sale, when reality kicked in, I remember how crap they were/are, I had two back to back in the early days, one pro the second the regular falvour, both wheels broke up with the cords snapping or something. since I've had this impulse buy I've laced it but never likely to ride it for fear almost certainly that it will bust up! Q. i recall somewhere that some collectors got loads of these?, is true that they got about hard rides in them? cheers ti-fat-man

disk drive life is massively dependant on how you rode & where you lived (IE type of trails). I had a pro during uni years in plymouth & got 11months out of mine. handled air time abuse fine. if I'd ridden it at home (considerably rockier trails) no doubt it would have totalled a lot earlier (although the earlier blue disk drive had alu sheet embedded, the cord still tore as easily)

An interesting side note. the alu buttons in the disk itself actually rub on the cord on the other side of the disk. Even if you purely rode on the road the wheel would eventually fail! (just take a lot longer!) the later 32H radial disk drive made some attempt to address this as the cord doesnt rub against the alu buttons. During 1 of tomacs last races on a disk drive his mechanic gregoria (sp!) actually cut the clear sections out of the disk in an attempt to reduce the impact of sidewinds. I can fully appreciate this after nearly being blown off the coastal footpath cliff near bovisand in plymouth (much to the amusement of my mates ;) )

u havent heard a disk drive till you've heard one with a hugi hub fitted to it. (old style hugi, new 1s wont fit) Ned had one on his ultimate when he raced @ the grundig world cup in plymouth (95/6?)... sounds like a motorbike :D

They do sound awesome - but yeah im a little scared of riding my pro one too. Mines a bit worn aswell - and they never look very good with years of cack stuck on the inside walls - can never get them clear. The black ones look better I reckon!

Back