Peugeot Super Competition PX10 - what to do?

loramski

Retro Newbie
Hi

Last year, I acquired a Peugeot Super Competition PX-10, which after some investigation I'm pretty certain is circa 1979-1980, though at some point it's had some component upgraded e.g. Shimano 600 RD, hubs, brake calipers, Shimano Exage brake levers (which are falling to bits), san marco saddle, cinelli handlebars, etc.

In recent years, I've ridden aluminium framed bikes which are okay, but as I've found, not exactly repairable after a shunt, and I prefer the feel of steel and (just as importantly, I'm shallow) the look - narrow tubing does it for me!

I'm seeking opinions on whether this frame is suitably high quality enough to invest a bit of money bringing it up to scratch (circa £500-600) or whether really it's only suitable to be a "beater"? If the former, I'm considering switching to brifters, if the latter, keeping it more or less as it is.

I guess I'm coming from the point of view of whether to invest in utilising this frame or going out and buying a frame from someone like Charge and building it up? Or maybe looking around for a better quality second hand frame.

Thanks
Martin

Hi - I had one of similar vintage and turned it into this:

peugeot_px10_531_144.jpg

and very nice it was too.

Hi Steve - I think this model is a 531. Is there much difference between a 531 and 531c?

Hi LGF, that's a fantastic looking bike! I think the Peugeot SCs are gorgeous which is the main reason I bought it to be honest! And it's French which is a bit unusual amongst the Italian and British bike loving colleagues of mine!

Mine's in metallic blue rather than the pearl white. I can see that you've upgraded from friction to brifter type gear levers at it looks "right".

Can you give me a run down on the component upgrades you've done? Have you retained the 7 speed cassette or had it widened to accommodate a bigger cassette? Have you had any mods made to the frame at all?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get it up together, like it is now?

Cheers
Martin

Unfortunately the bike has long gone but was a straight forward build. No frame modifications were required as its all standard fare. It was a mix of campagnolo mirage 9spd wheels xenon shifters record mechs and Mirage cranks. It all fitted as if the frame was 5 years old and not 30 as this one was

Smashing, thanks.

I'm intrigued by the brakes calipers - can't quite work out what they are from the photo. Can you remember?

Campagnolo Delta.

Donor bike came from a police auction and the Record parts were from my local recycling centre for £10.

legrandefromage":35xbgzqf said:
Hi - I had one of similar vintage and turned it into this:

peugeot_px10_531_144.jpg

and very nice it was too.
If you post up the frame number, I can probably tell you the exact year, or look on http://retropeugeot.com for the original catalogues.
Sounds like you are stuck in the same dilemma that I have had. I have a 1980 PKN10 'Competition' model, one down from the PX10, with a frame too large for me - 64 cm (25 1/4 inches), I am 6 foot and normal (?) dimensions (bike is pictured). The 531 frame has a nice feel to it, quite forgiving of bumps etc, certainly more so than an aluminium etc frame. But if you ride a 2010 steel frame, something like a Thorn, you will notice the difference in stiffness - the modern frames are less 'whippy' and if you really pound the pedals, you will get more of your power to the road on a newer bike - especially an aluminium framed bike.
So the dilemma is: remain a little bit vintage and keep the Peugeot frame with new components or keep the old components and get a newer frame?
The problem with the latter is that until about 1984, Peugeot used all Stronglight chainsets - nice but not as fancy or as efficient as their later Campagnolo and Shimano choices, and Simplex derailleurs - good but not really top-of-the-line in their day even.
Also, you should not have a Helicomatic rear wheel (I think they came in in the mid-1980s) but if you do, they are a pain as you eventually end up changing the hub/wheel as any other freewheel set up won't fit that wheel and the Helicomatic freewheel does not last long - 2000 - 3000 miles in my experience.
The Simplex front and rear changers can be adapted to work with indexed levers etc - even with Shimano flight deck combined brake and gear levers, but still feel a little agricultural. I would say the same for the brakes - Mafac or Weinmanns were great in their day but do not have the feel of modern set ups.
Your bike has been updated a bit as you say but if you don't have the priginal Simplex etc parts, you may well update again to brifters with the latest Shimano mechs etc - they are all pretty cheap (at least compared to the rather over-hyped Campagnolo equipment). Did you get the original mechs, brakes, chainset etc with the bike?
You can see this on LGFs bike - he used Campag Deltas - enclosed brakes, and Campagnolo Mirage etc wheels, Xenon mechs.
So it comes down it probably being better to upgrade the components and keep the old frame if you really like the feel and look of the frame, or get a newer bike!
I ride 20 miles round trip to work every day and I do find that although a modern bike like a Specialized Allez may be faster, the Peugeot (now with a PY10 frame in my size at last after 10 years of stretching over an oversize frame!) is more comfortable on London's lousy surfaces and just 'feels' nicer.
Depends what you want to do etc. If you want to sell the bike or the old components or the frame , and it is around my size, please let me know?
Hope this helps. If you are around Central/North London/West London any time, feel free to drop by and try my PKN/PY10 if you like.

Attachments

• LEFT SIDE 84KB.jpg
    LEFT SIDE 84KB.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 12,837
Hi Slimlavud - thanks for the info - much obliged. To answer your question, no I only got the parts attached to the bike (list below), none of the original stuff.

I'm thinking perhaps a more thorough description of what I've got may help here. Enclosed are a few photos of said bike, to help identify what it is I've got exactly.

The bike hasn't been a runner since I acquired it. However, the frame itself, whilst quite heavily scuffed, and a bit rusty in places, doesn't have any apparent damage otherwise.

The frame is a 58, and I'm 6ft tall so it seems to be the right size for me. The bottom bracket doesn't have a serial number that I can find. However, embossed is "X15" or maybe "X16" - photo attached.

The component list reads:

• Mavic Open 4CD rims which don't look too worn, though could do with trueing. These are built around Shimano 105 hubs. From what I can gather these are half decent rims and the hubs aren't too shabby either, so seriously thinking of retaining these.

Shimano 600 caliper brakes. These are of the deep drop nut fitted variety. I have it mind to replace these with modern Tektro ones (e.g. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=73&src=froogle)

Shimano Exage brake handles - these are seriously manky and fit for the bin only!

Huret Shifters

Stronglight chainrings

Shimano 600 front and rear mechs

Dura Ace Stem and Cinelli bars

From what I can gather, with the exception of the Stronglight chainrings, and maybe the Huret shifters, it appears everything else has been upgraded at some point.

At the moment, I leaning towards getting the frame properly restored (probably Argos as they seem to have a good rep and they are only an hour and a bit away from where I live) and then building it back up with decent components.

Anywho, would be grateful if you can review the pics and confirm my/our suspicion that this indeed a PXN10 from around 1980 - thanks.

Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• Bottom Bracket Stamp.jpg
    Bottom Bracket Stamp.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 12,791
Back