£1000 to spend on a new bike...

In that case, toss a coin...

I am really happy with the Altitude... and like you say it's good knowing they're backed by Madison...

Pulling this thread from the dead...

I eventually decided that the cycle to work scheme was just too good to miss :)

I was amazed at what i got for my £1000, it was definately worth the numerous phone calls and 3 months wait (although i have already replaced some bits):

Frame - 19" Rock Lobster TIG Team SL (Easton Ultralite)
Fork - Rock Shox SID Race
Stem - Pace RC45
Handlebar - Answer Hyperlite CF
Grips - WTB
Brakes - Hope Mono M4's
Shifters - XT
Front Derailleur - XT
Rear Derailleur - XT
Cassette - XT
Chain - XT
Cranks - XT
Chainrings - XT
Bottom Bracket - XT
Pedals - XTR SPD (Although DMR V8's in the picture)
Rims - Mavic XC717 Disc
Hubs - Hope XC
Tyres - Maxxis
Saddle - X-Lite PSS Kevlar/Ti
Seatpost - USE Alien
Weight - 22lbs :shock:

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00660.jpg

Nice bike!

The company I work for has decided to operate the scheme, been thinking I may get a cyclocross bike (gasp!) as the shed is full of mountain bikes already :D

Stu

Paul - was that supplied by Merlin but ordered through Halfords? Might be tempted to go down that route once our Cycle2Work scheme re-opens at Christmas.

Did you get the chance to spec every component yourself?

Simon":7efuomzr said:
Paul - was that supplied by Merlin but ordered through Halfords? Might be tempted to go down that route once our Cycle2Work scheme re-opens at Christmas.

Did you get the chance to spec every component yourself?

Yup, from Merlin via Halfords. Basically you choose your spec in conjunction with what Merlin can supply then email that to Halfords, they then order it from Merlin and get it sent to you.

It took bloody ages to sort mine, 3 months from start to finish, but by luck and perseverence i've ended up with nearly £1500 of bike for £500 :shock:

Just a quick question about this my employer isnt signed upto this and am going to suggest it to them, but if they dont go for it can i get someone who 's employer does use it to order me one and pay them (aunty in NHS) or do they have to provide proof it is for them and stuff

computerbitz":4qtnoxpx said:
Just a quick question about this my employer isnt signed upto this and am going to suggest it to them, but if they dont go for it can i get someone who 's employer does use it to order me one and pay them (aunty in NHS) or do they have to provide proof it is for them and stuff

I guess that'd work. I certainly didn't have to provide any proof. In fact i don't even use it for commuting, i use my Kona.

People who couldn't realistically even commute by bike got them at our place, so i can't see how anyone checks :)

no well i got my marin muirwoods last week for any commuting i do am looking at getting myself another 2 bikes one for home for more serious stuff and one to leave at my caravan in wales as i dont drive and its normally a train job to get there so seems to make more sense to have one up there

Merlin cycles

Hey folks, MERLIN CYCLES is now signed up for the CYCLESCHEME and you can get your ride 2 work direct from them without doing it through HALFORDS :D I got my bike from them last month and i got to say you cannot better MERLINS build kit for £1000 .....full 08 XT HOPE MINI brakes, RACEFACE DEUS finishing kit ...Absolutely bloody brilliant.. :LOL:

Back