Old wheels; new tyres & inner tubes

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I have a Reynolds 753 frame to which I intend to fit a pair of Mavic Open Pro wheels.

Can anyone recommend tyres which might be suitable for such wheels. Cost ain't really an issue. I'd like ones that are light and roll easily. Good puncture resistance would be handy.

Does it matter what inner tubes I fit ? Are they all 'much of a muchness' ?

On another note, I've a pair of old racing wheels which have glued-on tyres - one of which is flat.

The local bike shop told me that it 'it isn't worth fixing', so I put another pair of wheels on that bike.

As a result, I'm not sure what to do with the wheels - I'll almost certainly never use them - I'm glad to move away from 'glued-on tyres'. I only used them, cos they were what was on the bike when I bought it, many years ago.

I don't know what make the rims are, but the hub on the front wheel says . . .

'Suzue Satn 0.5' (I think) & the rear hub is 'Suzue Satn 0.6' (I think). The centre of the hub says 'SUZUE Forged'. The skewers are Suntour.

What I would like to know is:

Presumably, the rims though straight & in good nick, won't be of any interest to anyone, but are the hubs worth keeping ? (They still run smoothly). I can't find any reference to these hubs on the Internet. Both the wheel rims take 36 spokes.

Or should I just ditch the lot ?

Ta v. much for any advice

As a good all-rounder tyre, Conti Gatorskins are tough, fast and well able to survive in winter on flinty mucky roads. If you are feeling flush, Conti GP 4 Seasons is even faster if slightly more fragile. I would go for the 23c size.

As for the wheels, tubular tyres feel fast and are wonderfully supple. They still have value as wheels rather than a sack of bits, and I'd sell them as such.

Gatorskins are great (I'm using these now) but if I were flush, I'd go for some Schwalbe Ultremo R1's .... drool!!

Back