Ride Suggestions for the 2011 Calendar- Have Your Say!

So, any more suggestions?
Fixed in the calendar will be BDWIII in July or August and Peaks in September.

We usually have a a run around Dalby over Christmas (Christmas Pudding Run), so that leaves us with 9 slots to fill. At least one has to be a national status 'GOLD' event and this years joint promotion on the 3 Tribes was a success so we will probably run something similar. So we are left with seven regular regionals to find.

BDWIII is in the North West, probably the lakes. Peaks is Peaks obviously.

So how about....in no particular order.....
East Yorkshire/Wolds with Lincs
Yorkshire Dales- Hawes area(NATIONAL STATUS)
South Yorkshire- somewhere around Holmfirth, Barnsley, Penistone area.
Northumberland- Thrunton or Cheviots
Kirroughtree with MacRetro/NWA(NATIONAL STATUS)
North Yorkshire Moors x 2, East side, west side.
Mr Ks day in the Peaks(GOLD STATUS)
Christmas Pudding Run- Dalby
BDWIII- Lakes(GOLD STATUS)
Hamsterley Forest
Howardian Hills

Plenty of variety there, good georaphical spread and co-promoting events with MacRetro, North West and Lincs should get us some decent turnouts and ease the pressure regarding promotion, route recces etc.

Let me know your thoughts. If you like what you see or disagree just let me know.

Cheers
Si

Some good proactive discussion here for 2011. There will be lots to discuss at the NAC/AEC's meet later in the year so might be best to keep things as suggestions/provisionals for the time being, at least until a clear way forward has been reached especially with regard to National events.

Great work from the NE and Yorks as always.

Any idea when the NAC/AEC meeting will be Mark? What's the timeframe for getting the format for next years National Events sorted?
I'm looking at a busy year next year and my diary is starting to fill up, getting some idea of where we are going in 2011 would be helpful sooner than later.

Dr S that looks good of to look where Hamsterley is.

Selfishly the 2x moors is good for me, but 2x Dales may be better for others, Dales covers a much larger area.

Is there enough up there in the North (or Sub-Scotland ?) for you ?

Howardian Hills is interesting, stay around there quite often now, but never ridden and I know there are proper marked routes. Very muddy though!
Plenty of pubs but not cheap.

Dales is a new area to explore for us so I have no idea what the turnout willbe like. NY Moors have always pulled in a good crowd and there are quite a few locals there that's why I propose two rides there. Also it's very central and easy for everyone to get to. If the Dales proves poular then we can look at doing more there.
Howardian Hills could be run in winter when the ground is hard. Frosty rides in open countryside are always rather special. We could aim for something around 15 miles with a nice warm pub at the finish around 4pm. A great little winter warmer.

There is plenty there to keep the northernmost riders happy- Kirroughtree, Hamsterly and Thrunton, plus easy drives to the Dales, BDW in the Lakes and the NY Moors double header.

As Mark says we will have to await the outcome of the AEC meeting to see which/ how many events we push for National Status, but for now we can start to look at which months we choose for the rides above wether they become big events or local rides.

Si

Dr S":bnjruip1 said:
Any idea when the NAC/AEC meeting will be Mark? What's the timeframe for getting the format for next years National Events sorted?
I'm looking at a busy year next year and my diary is starting to fill up, getting some idea of where we are going in 2011 would be helpful sooner than later.
Your guess is as good as mine Si. I'm sure it will be announced just as soon as Neil has got the OWMTBC out of his system. The OWMTBC is a massive event thats taking a great deal of organisation, so I know Neil is swamped at the moment.

As you've previously suggested the Peaks might be an ideal opportunity to stage this NAC/AEC meeting.

Sounds good Si. Plenty of superb Dales rides but the problem can be finding mid way pubs and points for people to bottle out. Once you're on your way it can get pretty lonely up there. I have a route in mind that allows 'get outs' but doesn't get too deep into the Dales which is part of the fun?

Naughty weather takes it's toll over here so maybe best to plan from spring onwards?

I've been giving this more thought over the last few days and taking the seasons into consideration I've tightened things up a bit. I've tried to stagger the events around the region with a good north south north south mix.
Everything is subject to Chris' approval when he gets back from his hols and we have to wait until the AEC meeting to see which events become the nationals, so until then consider this to be a very rough draft calendar..

JAN- North Yorkshire Moors East
FEB- Hamsterley Trail Centre
MAR- South Yorkshire- Wharncliffe?
APR- Thrunton Woods, Northumberland
MAY- Yorkshire Dales, Hawes area?
JUNE- Yorkshire Wolds/ Humberside
JULY- BDW III- Lake District
AUG- North Yorkshire Moors West
SEPT- Peaks Meet
OCT- Kirroughtree or Glentress
NOV- Howardian Hills
DEC- Christmas Pudding Run, Dalby

Also there will be the big non retrobike events like Mayhem and HONC etc but as these are down south there might not be too much interest up here.

That provisional Calendar looks really good Si.

So good I might move to Yorkshire in fact.

BDW III in the Lakes was also what I was thinking funnily enough... :cool:

Back