Carlton Continental c1972

Been doing a few bits and bobs...

Rather dismayed to fined Ive got 4 broken spokes on the bak wheel, so that will need to go off to the shop...

Otherwise front wheel is all OK, this one is original with the bike, the rear one has been replaced after some goon drove into the back of me on a roundabout years ago.

Just a few pics for them that want to see. (Good shed pic too! :LOL: )

P7260713.jpg

My old Carlton is looking a bit cleaner...
P7260723.jpg

If only I could get some replacement imichrome decals....
P7260722.jpg

:cry:

P7260721.jpg

P7260720.jpg

P7260719.jpg

Dyno rewired and new bulbs replaced where necessary....
P7260718.jpg

P7260714.jpg

Megarange mech has been given a bit of a clean up too.
P7260717.jpg

Ive put this bike back together today, still needs a few adjustments but it is really nice to see this one complete again.

This was bought for me, second hand for my 13th birthday back in 1976. My dad paid the princely sum of £38.00 for it. The bike has been with me ever since, we've done 1000s of miles together.

The Continental is original except for the brakes (originally Weinmann 730s), rear wheel, saddle, rear mech, drive train, front mech and tyres. Ive fitted this one with a 12-speed set up, using a mega-range rear mech and a 32-tooth rear sprocket. Front chainwheel was purchased by myself back in 1986 and is a 52/42 tooth affair. For many years this was my number one commuting machine - hence the gears. Plymouth is hilly and I regularly carried two heavy panniers...

Frame is a bit small for me now at 21" but the seat is pretty well up as far as it can safely go. When all said and done the bike is a very loved machine being my first Carlton...

Enjoy.

P8130074.jpg

P8130087.jpg

P8130088.jpg

Shimano 600
P8130085.jpg

P8130083.jpg

Big double bulbed Miller lamp...
P8130081.jpg

P8130078.jpg

P8130079.jpg

P8130075.jpg

I upgraded the brakes to GB Synchrons - love em.
P8130082.jpg

P8130089.jpg

P8130076.jpg

P8130077.jpg

Keep them responses rolling in...

And there was me thinking this is a retro forum...

:roll:

the roadie lot are out shaving their legs/ lap times so dont get too upset.

Its nice that you still have one of your first bikes.

I cant say that I like that rather ugly Tourney mech though. You could make yourself something out of a 600 mech and a long cage if you want to keep the 600 theme. OR find a Campagnolo Rally mech and stick the cage to a Nuovo Record body.

legrandefromage":2v9toxui said:
the roadie lot are out shaving their legs/ lap times so dont get too upset.

Its nice that you still have one of your first bikes.

I cant say that I like that rather ugly Tourney mech though. You could make yourself something out of a 600 mech and a long cage if you want to keep the 600 theme. OR find a Campagnolo Rally mech and stick the cage to a Nuovo Record body.

Im not into any of that shaving lark!!

True about the mech, Its was really out of necessity rather than aesthetics!

I do have a Campag Rally, but it was not too good when I tried it on one of my other cycles. I maybe will try it. That said the Shimano one works very well, despite its looks. Ive road tested this one since and it runs well, sort of 1970s racer meeting MTB gearing head on!

Thanks for responding, sorry was having a generally cr@p day yesterday so fancied a rant!!! :LOL:

It's good to take 'em to bits every now and then. Amazing what you find. Like your damaged spokes, I found the axle had snapped on my back wheel once. Who knows how long it had been like that.

Iwasgoodonce":3pudpueo said:
It's good to take 'em to bits every now and then. Amazing what you find. Like your damaged spokes, I found the axle had snapped on my back wheel once. Who knows how long it had been like that.

Well the wheel is OK now, although its been re-trued and the shop has fitted 4 new spokes, he generally the wheel had poor spoke tension and needed totally re-spoking. I thought that a bit excessive!

Ive got another wheel which need truing too, so he'll probably say you need a new wheel!

Re: Imichrome Decals

Derohan":2fbvw35i said:
Did you ever get anywhere with the imichrome decals?

Sadly no, I can redo the graphics, but they need to go on the chrome silver plastic substrate.

Lloyds do imichrome decals as a two part jobbie; chrome bottom layer and graphics printed on to transparent top layer. I've got some on order for me Carlton Corsa - I'll stick some photos up when they arrive :D

Back