1992 Saracen Traverse ~ Completed for the OWMTBC

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
August 2010:
I picked up this lovely frame set from Mr K last week with the intention of getting it built up in time for the OWMTBC in September.

As you can see it's a 1992 Saracen Traverse frame built from True Temper AVR tubing. It sat one model below the Traverse Elite, which was top of the non e-stay 'Sport' range in the 1992 Saracen line up. The catalogue shows that they shared the same high quality tubing, but the Traverse had a DX groupset whereas the 'Elite' had XT throughout and was black.

This Traverse still wears it's original and nearly immaculate deep purple powder coat with a fantastic but subtle metallic fleck. The original wafer thin transfer decals are still all present, but their relative fragility has meant that they aren't all as perfect as the tough and durable powder coat.

I intend to build this up with a mixture of XT M732/5 and DX M650, and keep the other components as close to the original spec as possible.

And now for some pictures:

92Traverse01.jpg

92Traverse02m.jpg
92Traverse03m.jpg

92Traverse04m.jpg
92Traverse05m.jpg

92Traverse06m.jpg
92Traverse07m.jpg

92Traverse08.jpg

92Traverse09.jpg

92Traverse-Cat.jpg

Traverse page from the 1992 Saracen Catalogue

September 2010 ~ UPDATE:

I finished building this bike with hours to spare before the OWMTBC and so I was of course relieved that I had my intended bike ready but untested for the competition.

It was eventually finished off with a set of skinwall Farmer John's Cousins borrowed from my Kili Racer for the weekend. I'll still need to find a suitable set of tyres for the longer term though. There are a few other parts to sort out before I'm completely happy with it but for now here it is as photographed a few days after the event:

92Traverse10.jpg

92Traverse11m.jpg
92Traverse12m.jpg

92Traverse13m.jpg
92Traverse14m.jpg

92Traverse17.jpg

It's a great bike to ride but there will be more about that later in the thread as I get a few more hours riding done on it.

Now that is very nice Paul :cool:

I look forward to seeing this one evolve with great anticipation. I love the paintwork and is in amazing condition. Is there a story behind the F&F they look near NOS :D

Im still looking at this beauty :D and realise it has side mounted cables and do I spy the option in the middle guide for a Hydro hose ;)

Cheers LGF, but I've already got hold of a NOS 120mm Zoom stem. I'd love to get hold of some Zoom bars though too, and a 30.2mm silver Zoom seatpost would be ace.
I have most of the components already and the front mech is in the post. I do also need a headset and seatbolt though.

GM. Mr K reckons that the bike has been built up at some stage but never actually ridden, although not by him. He sold it on as it's a tad too small for him but it looks a perfect size for me. The chainstays are mint and there's no cable rub at all. There's also zero rust anywhere as far as I can tell so I'm really pleased with it.
It will get a Waxoyl treatment prior to it being built to keep the iron oxide at bay.

The cable guides are simply slotted for regular cables rather than Maguras. I'll be going for DX cantis in the meantime though.

Another nice Saracen. Good work. This will look ace built up, should be pretty light as well.

Another tasty Saracen in your collection mate , love the colour. Looking forward to seeing the end result ! :cool: .....i see you've blown the usual £16 budget this time. ;)

Back