Miyata Team Carbon?

jet

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

I'd be greatful if anyone could help me get a bit of information on a bike I have acquired from a friend. It's a Miyata Team Carbon road bike with Shimano gearset and flight deck. It's incredibly light and after a full overhaul, a really nice bike to ride.
From the digging I've done, I think this bike was made around 1993, is a carbon over aluminium tubing construction with an original weight of around 8kg.
I'd be grateful if anyone has any more information on this bike/manufacturer, specifically where they were available and what the original spec was. (I know this bike was imported from Canada).
Also if anyone could give me an idea of the value of this bike that would be really helpful. My friend has given me this bike but I'd like to give them some money for it as I'm quite sure they will have paid a reasonable amount for it in the first place and I really love the bike and enjoy riding it, so it jsut seems right.

Many thanks in advance

James.

Miyata was and still is in some parts of the world a large bicycle manufacturer. In the 80s they wiped away the competion from the US market, untill the Yen skyrocketed in the early 90s. Miyatas were the finest off the shelf bikes you could get, together with some other Japanese manufacturers like for example Panasonic.

Miyata did also supply frames to Koga of the Netherlands.

Can you give a descrition of the paintscheme and what serial# you find under the bottom bracket shell?

Elev12k":3aobl6an said:
Miyata was and still is in some parts of the world a large bicycle manufacturer. In the 80s they wiped away the competion from the US market, untill the Yen skyrocketed in the early 90s. Miyatas were the finest off the shelf bikes you could get, together with some other Japanese manufacturers like for example Panasonic.

Miyata did also supply frames to Koga of the Netherlands.

Can you give a descrition of the paintscheme and what serial# you find under the bottom bracket shell?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
The bike is a plain design, the main tubing (the three pieces linked by headset, bottom bracket and seat post) are what I would call standard black carbon fibre in appearance. The rest of the frame is painted white. It has 'Team Carbon' decals on the each side of the crossbar and a Miyata logo on the bar between seatpost and bottom bracket. All this is from memory so may not be 100%.
I'll get the serial tonight and take a picture if I get the chance.

cheers

James.

Elev12k":3073sg38 said:
Sounds like the 1993 MY example. View it here >> http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/12/m ... -1993.html

As full bike specced with 'only' 105, in an attempt to make up somewhat for the expensive Yen. Koga sold their bike with the similar frame as FullPro-Carbolite. Always equipped with Dura Ace.

Hey that's the one, it's really good to see it in a catalogue, thanks so much for the link! the serial is WD01628, there may be another character before the W but it's impossible to work it out.
The gearset, wheels and flight deck is definitely different, shimano 600 on the crank etc... and Wolber wheels.
I'll post up the pics tomorrow.]

Thanks again for the link :)

james.

Okay

You requested for a kind of valuation because you would like to give the person who donated it to you some money. Your bike is not a minty. From the pics I would say it is a well used bike. This limits what one could ask for it very much. I would say give him a bottle of liquor or so.

Personally I have a couple years earlier Koga-Miyata Carbolite as regular ride. Pretty similar frame with a nice ride quality. A couple novelties for your frame: Slim wishbone stay and neatly in lugs integrated brake routing.

4774809905_1f2ac3e6f2_b.jpg

Ok, great, thanks for your evaluation of the bike. I shall hand over a randomly generated amount of cash with a big Thank you :D

Yes the bike has indeed been well used, and continues to be. I was knocked off on my second ride out by a dumb car driver and fell off entirely on my own on a different occasion, so it could do with some TLC to tidy up a bit.

The bike in the picture looks absolutely immaculate. Really nice. Thanks for sharing the picture and your knowledge, much appreciated :)

james.

Back