Joe Waugh - fillet brazed Columbus Max

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Today's build, fillet brazed Columbus Max by Dave Yates and badged Joe Waugh. Not sure of year of the frame but guessing early 90s at latest. The frame has seen a lot of use and there are numerous chips and scars that don't show up on the photo below - thinking of adding some mudguards to this and using it as a winter bike.

Build is eclectic/lash up as you prefer and basically what I had to hand so 600 brakeset, Campag Racing Triple including rear mech, Turbo, Mavic.

Attachments

• Joe Waugh.JPG
    Joe Waugh.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,937
Columbus Max Winter bike, nice work :cool: Just built a Waugh up for a friend but that was in 653. Frame was very nicely done.

Sad it went actually and never managed to try it much further than the end of the road and back.

Looks nice

DA-EVO":2aqhu30a said:
Columbus Max Winter bike, nice work :cool:

That didn't slip by ;)

Actually it was an impulse purchase for not very much at all and I thought that I'd better try to justify it - a few scratches, a mismatched build and 'hey presto', a winter bike!

ededwards":354hww06 said:
DA-EVO":354hww06 said:

That didn't slip by ;)

Actually it was an impulse purchase for not very much at all and I thought that I'd better try to justify it - a few scratches, a mismatched build and 'hey presto', a winter bike!

Is it a max fork? If the clearance is as smal as that on my MAX fork you'll struggle to get a guard through there.

John":s81e1wlq said:
ededwards":s81e1wlq said:
DA-EVO":s81e1wlq said:

That didn't slip by ;)

Is it a max fork? If the clearance is as smal as that on my MAX fork you'll struggle to get a guard through there.

Not a Max fork, not sure what it is but clearance similar to that at the rear end.

From reading an article by Hilary Stone from 94/95 I understood that Max is too harsh for a fork - how do you find yours?

ededwards":2a3v6d62 said:
From reading an article by Hilary Stone from 94/95 I understood that Max is too harsh for a fork - how do you find yours?

The fork is fine. I suspect the game has moved on since 1995. The fork is certainly stiffer than a SLX fork but then so is a easton ec90 carbon.

First ride today and really happy as it feels very comfortable (possibly because it is the right size?).

I reckon I could have fitted some Salmon all aluminium mudguards but have kept it simple with some raceblades which were very necessary with the inclement weather today.

Back