World Championships 2007 - Fort William. Were you there?

JS1500

Senior Retro Guru
Got back at around this time lastnight after a very enjoyable 3 days at the Worlds.

Were any of you guys there?

If so, post your pics!

I only took a few pictures 'cos my mate (who's a photographer) was taking lots, but here are a few:

RIMG0482.jpg

RIMG0483.jpg

RIMG0485.jpg

RIMG0488.jpg

I'll post the good pics once my mate has sent me them!

:cool:

Indeed I was!! My mates got the photos. Just got back today - man can those downhill guys move!

We walked from the bottom of the course to the top while the junior men and women elite came down. Then just as we got to the top the elite men started so we followed them as we went back down the hill and the weather worsened.

What a fantastic event and the best bit is it is so accessible - you could mingle with the teams and see the bikes close up.

Funny thing happened - we were staying at the Red Squirrel campsite in Glencoe and we went to the Clachaig that night and ordered some whiskeys - rude not to and all that - I got some random one as I said just give me a surprise. Turns out the whiskey is called 'Peaty' and it's Steve Peat's own brand of whiskey!!! It was good too! Must get me a bottle!

Haha! That's great.

Were you there on the Friday evening?
If so, how many midgie bites did you get :shock: ?

RIMG0486.jpg

We were doing the 7 stanes at Mabie on Friday and Drumlanrig on Saturday, only came up to Glencoe on Sat evening - but ye - midgies galore! Here's a photo of us in the crowd taken from the Sam Hill video on the fort william worlds website:
http://www.fortwilliamworldchamps.co.uk/fwwc_home.html

I am circled in red, my mate in blue. we're watching Sam Hill get his medal.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 3,360
It's pretty much always winter there. Each time I have been there on business (and camped-looks good on expenses) I haven't yet seen the mountain tops. That's why the Scots invented whisky (no'e'), the damn clever chaps!!

If you spotted a guy in a rather fetching, circa 1995, lilac, Pace Goretex jacket - that was me.

:cool:

We camped at our usual and little-known camping spot down by a river about 50 minutes drive from the course. Excellent.

Edit: The weather wasn't that bad, averaging about 15 degrees. The rain stayed off until late on Sunday, and even that wasn't 'proper' scottish rain.

That's why the Scots invented whisky (no'e'),
I knew that :oops: ...call it tiredness after driving for 7 hours today!!

no can't say I noticed the pale lilac Pace jacket - too many other things to look at!! did you go all the way up the route?

This year we stayed near the bottom of the hill.
Too many times in the past (at World Cup events) we've walked up the hill and missed most of the action!

Laziness was a factor too :oops: .

7 hour drive? I thought my 3.5 hour drive in the lashing rain and pitch dark was bad enough. Some of those roads should come with a health warning! :?

Edit: I suppose the jacket is more light purple than lilac. Served me well it has.

Yes. Got my new dSLR just in time and got just over 1k shots. Only started going through them.

Riding my ss fixed around the xc course was good fun :)

zzzzzzpg1.jpg

Latest posts

Back