Pulstar hub (wheel building)

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I finally got to building my wheels yesterday. Rear wheel is a normal XT hub with Mavic rim, front wheel is a purple Pulstar hub with the same Mavic rim. I have built Pulstar hubs before and this shouldn't be any problem (just standard 3 cross pattern).

No the weird thing is, with this particular Pulstar hub I can't get them spokes in the right way. Starting off with the leading spoke, then the next one 4 holes off it, the next one 4 holes off it (like it's done with normal 3-cross pattern). All seems to be OK until I get to 4 or more spokes, every spoke starts bending as if it should actually be one hole further than the normal 4th hole. But I can't go one hole further because the eyelets in the rim are the wrong side then (right sided/left sided).

Like I said, I have built Pulstar wheels before and never had any problem with them. This particular hub is actually the same one as in my S-works except that it's purple. Is there anything I'm missing here?? Were there different pattern Pulstars as well? Spoke length is correct...

Any help would be great! TIA

Void(EN12-82)

Stupid question but sounds almost as though the hole counts don't match... also don't knwo if it makes much difference but I start with trailing spokes first.

Well, rim and hub are both 32H and I also start with trailing spokes...

Just tried figuring out why they start bending and I am getting the idea the spokes are too short anyway. Can't reach both sides either with two spokes ging left/right from the center of the hub (well, from the holes in the flanges). But my spokelength calc gave me 263mm for a Pulstar hub with Mavic x317 Rims (effective rim diameter is 539.5).

Anyone have a spoke calc to confirm I have the right length? The hub also doesn't look faulty to me, no misaligned or unevenly spaced eyelets in it. The rear wheel (XT M732 hub with X317 rim) went flawless, done in a jiffy. Just can't figure out what's wrong up front :-(

spoke lengths are on bikepro website.
i got the details there for these:

Attachments

• IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,062
Well, the spoke length shouldn't be the problem. They are the same as the spokes in the front wheel of my S-works. And since the rims are the same as well there must be something wrong with that hub I guess :?:

I'll just go looking for a different purple pulstar hub, this was one of those suspension hubs with the axle integrated QR (I can't see it on the bikepro website). Just like the red one on my S-works, that's also one of those suspension Pulstars. Really weird...

Less or more than 3-cross pattern wasn't the answer either (and I don't know of any Pulstars with less/more than 3-cross)

Void(EN12-82)":1n14v4pw said:
Well, the spoke length shouldn't be the problem. They are the same as the spokes in the front wheel of my S-works.

Umm - probably not.

The flange width will make a difference for a start!

Latest posts

Back