Ride Suggestions for the 2011 Calendar- Have Your Say!

There are some excellent rides in the Yorkshire Wolds Si and we have a cracking route local to us that has tough climbs, fantastic descents and some nice singletrack as I'm sure the South Yorks lads will vouch for as they seemed to have a great day out with us. It can be extended easily into a 30 mile all day ride with plenty of pubs to choose.

As we are aiming to include and support our neighbouring groups what about doing Sherwood Pines?

Nothing stopping us going to the Pines- especially the East and South Yorks guys. Many of the established regular NE&Yorks guys are based in Northumberland, Tyne & Tees and NYorks Moors however and pines can be a 300 mile round trip for some. It's also difficult to get them to travel when they have so much epic riding within 20 minutes drive. In short any Pines involvement might end up being your gig.

Wolds sounds good especially the pubs bit. Not sure about the 'tough climbs' bit but I will have excuses for being a shit climber ready by then.

;)

Sherwood pines is supposed to be really good riding.
Quite like the sound of riding there.

Si. Have you read the "Yorkshire Dales Mountain Biking" The North Dales. By Nick Cotton. It has loads of rides some small some epic but it's all really good riding.

giant-one":3of0prd1 said:
Si. Have you read the "Yorkshire Dales Mountain Biking" The North Dales. By Nick Cotton. It has loads of rides some small some epic but it's all really good riding.

Funny enough I have been flicking through all my old guides this evening- NYMoors, Dales, North Pennines, Derek Purdeys Northumberland and a really old one for the Lakes. The lakes one is ace, all 23" Muddy Fox CouriersCovered in pipe lagging being carried up mountains, bull moose bars, moustaches, cut down jeans and not a helmet in sight. Real oldskool stuff!

Sherwood is well worth a visit but I understand the distance may put people off.

Saltyman made the trip a couple of months ago and enjoyed it despite us all travelling down the A1 through huge thunderstorms and arriving to a flooded car park :LOL:

Cool as :cool: :cool:

What are the chances of actually getting some scans of maps or some sort of routes section where any user can access them.

They do it on MBR or Bikeradar's sites. Would this be possible.

I think John would know best though.

If you use "mapmyride.com" you can just stick a link up on here to your saved route.

The main problem I have with that site though is that unless you actually know where the trails are on the satellite view you cant plot the route.

Ben got me using Bing maps as they have an OS map view which is good for finding trails but as far as I know no site is using it for route plotting.

Though since mapmyride or similar can usually export as GPS files or to Google KLM (Earth) files they can be used in other programs or other programs can be used plot and placed on to mapmyride.
For example the local one near me I used memorymap (costs money) but has excellent maps and is pretty easy to use, also on certain SatNavs you can alter the software to use memorymap which I am looking in to doing. But that just a future interest of mine

I created it in memory map, exported as GPS then pulled imported it in to mapmyride and though the lines are slightly off due to the way the maps are, you can easily get the idea.

S.Yorks has Wharncliffe ?

Chris you where wanting to put on a road ride at some point, for a change ?
could do the East Yorkshire Classic route :LOL:
http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... -map09.pdf
:twisted:

For any IPhone users there is now a free Memorymap app. It has X amount of free mapping, after that you have to buy. One good thing is you buy in small chunks so that you don't have to buy a full georaphic area just for one route. If you already have CD based memory maps you can upload these into your app using wifi.
I tried out the app on the Hambleton Ride back in march and it was spot on. I knew the route anyway so if it had been useless there was no harm, but it worked very well indeed. Battery life could be an issue on longer rides though.

Back