import duty / VAT

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. As someone has previously stated, doesn't the duty get paid buy the purchaser when the item is new?

If the US government charged duty when the product was new, and the UK government charge duty on things that are new, when you buy 2nd hand in either the US or UK there is no additional duty charged, why is it charged when shipping across the pond, and who gets that money. I have just started the process for buying a frame and forks from the USA, and I had no idea of any of this, sh*t, looks like neither were much of a bargain.

This stuff is not just being sold on by someone in the US trying to make a quick buck, it is actually used, and often in need of restoration, or just for parts. This is disgusting.

I'll get off my soap box now.

d_c

Just looked this up on the HMRC website. It looks as though you have to pay Import duty and VAT on everything, and a handling fee, even if it is a gift!

If it is a gift (value up to £290) then the duty is calculated at 3.5% of the value of the item not including the postage, or free if that comes to less than £7. The VAT is charged at 17.5% of the sum of all that, plus the handling charge. If the item is not a gift then the rate varies on what it is and the condition, so look this up if you can in case it is lower than 3.5% (unlikely).

I am still shocked, but it does seem that the best deal is to get your seller to fill out the form properly, stating that it is a gift if you can, describe it as bicycle parts, ensure the description states clearly the condition, especially if it is a little worse for wear, that way they can get away with stating that the value is low in case the parcel is unwrapped at all and a value calculated by HMRC on arrival.

On top of all that, just don't do it unless they are practically giving it away.

phew! d_c

Latest posts

Back