Shopping Bikes...

ninety

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Feedback
View
Hello

I'm not sure this is something covered on the site at all, but I figure it's worth asking. My girlfriend wants a shopping bike and I want a project so I've decided to build her one. The only stipulation she's made is that it's a step through frame and she'd like it to be 3 speed. I've suggested a small normal frame or even a mixte instead, but apparently these are definite 'nos'.

I know that some of these things can be super-heavy, so my question is - are there any lighter ones? (I seem to remember seeing an old Lenton made of 531 on ebay a few months back) Makes to avoid or favour? Also, is there any hope of finding one with 700C wheels rather than 26" or are we getting too modern there?

Thanks

Andrew

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
is this the sort of thing you're after?

16491823.jpg

i think of shoppers as small wheel jobbies

Yes, that's the rough kind of frame, right through to more Dutch style things. You're probably right with the small wheeled thing too - my bad. I think baskets, I think shopping. I think bikes with baskets...

@pigman - that looks great, but sadly it's pick up only from London

@one-eyed-jim - while I met your idea with a certain amount of glee and a light going on above my head (I particularly like the one the picture), I have a strong suspicion that Esther won't share the Moulton love. That doesn't mean I'm not going to look though...

ninety":zff8u8qh said:
I know that some of these things can be super-heavy, so my question is - are there any lighter ones? (I seem to remember seeing an old Lenton made of 531 on ebay a few months back) Makes to avoid or favour? Also, is there any hope of finding one with 700C wheels rather than 26" or are we getting too modern there?

You might find something to suit in the shape of a Dawes - I'm sure they made a non-mixte ladies' Horizon touring frame in 531 tubing at some point. We're talking late 80s-early 90s here so 700c wheels would suit. Similar remarks apply to the Falcon Black Diamond tourer (531 again) which I'm sure came in a ladies version.

David

@David B - thanks for that. I've just found a Dawes on ebay that might fit the bill and hubgearfreak may have something for me when he gets back from holiday. I reckon a ladies touring bike looks like the way to go, then mess about with bars and stem to get the riding position a bit more relaxed.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions so far, I'll update once things progress...

Back