Monday Baiku - Needs You...

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok, so other forums have their Friday Kylie or their Wednesday Rachel Stevens (ok I made that last one up), but I thought following last weeks contributions. we could have the Monday Baiku. :)

I liked reading the experience of your last ride, whether it was Sunday bliss or Monday commuting hell. Interesting seeing the different perspectives (especially Cannondale King's unique perspective ;) ).

so let's have some more. What was your last ride like? Good weekender? Quick blast on the '90 Attitude before the rear mech fell off? A day to remember/ forget? Let's have 'em... :shock:

(and if you're wondering what Baiku is...it's like Haiku but with less rules and about bikes. :D ) And if you're wondering what Haiku is...G**gle it. :D

A lot of biking this weekend for me, but yesterday stood out...

Cross bike today. High street warm up. See old granny tucked in all aero like Sean Yates. Bless her. Probably rode Alp D'huez in 1938 faster than me this morning even with my Dura Ace. She doesn't need patronising, I do. Hit the hills. Climbing painful good today. Work hard. Earn 5 min sit down. pay an installment to a lifetime's debt to nature. Long grass, lazy lunchtime. Blue sky, white clouds, green balloon. Another balloon. Loads of them. Local balloon festival. Detour. Arrive to see 2nd wave taking off. Bikes 'n' balloons. Magic. Best ride of my life.

:D

Attachments

• balloon.jpg
    balloon.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,563
Top stuff Gus

Mine from last night..

Dog hassling me to take it out.. into garage, sh*t, as a result of weekend tinkering have no retro bikes actually rideable, have to take modern steed :oops: ..
Head up into orchards, dog takes off like Overend up the hills, catch her up on the fast descent, ears flapping in the wind (the dogs you understand), over rickety bridge (close call) and round in a loop back to the house..

Bike used, dog knackered, good karma .....

Mine was Yesterday morning, complete with tag-a-long and 4 year old shouting faster dad faster, yeah, like i'm John Tomac, sorry son, this is as fast as it gets!

Sunday morning - wake up early, before kids, new bike to try. Excited! Dress, skip breakie and go to garage. Tyres soft - too soft to ride. Retrieve trackpump from shed - valve missing. DAMN. Look everywhere for mini-pump - remember left at office. BALLS. Take Klein, light wheel option. Out to Luton's backyard. Sun shining, birds singing - get chased by Great Dane, she thought it was fun! Floating up hills and take it easy down (light wheels!). Hour later I'm home. Kids awake, coffee machine on, out-laws have arrived. Build treehouse in garden!

Won't do last ride as just a commute, but previous to that was first ride with son, 11 am took stablisers off, and pedals, pushed up and down road hobby horse style until sorted balance, put pedals back on and practiced pedaling. all sorted by 12:15, wanted to go riding with me, so we went round the block, he crashed twice, once in to hedge , second into bright red post box. :shock: . back to house for lunch , Dad beaming with pride. he's five next week.

Left car at work on Friday, a few drinks, excellent night, went to garage this morning to bike to work, 15 miles to look forward to, rain last night, but dry this morning, dry because of the wind! Dig out commute bike, it's been five months since we bonded after birth of second boy (and the need to get home ASAP and help mum). Pump up tyres, fiddle with brakes, wave at older boy at the window and off we go, funny rattle from back of bike, need to investigate but not now, big road climb is nice but reach the top and get hit by the wind - ooof. Rough path beside the dual carriageway for 3 miles and then smooth, buffeted by the wind and trucks, not pleasant. Turn off and through the scheemy estate before I hit the back roads and some more nice climbs, rattle comes and goes, enjoying it now, a few cars but no hassle. Small offroad section and the cool-the-beans down before waving at the security guard and into the bike shed. Nice glow, feel better for doing it but that bit beside the main road is a pain - need a better offroad route. Feel better than if I'd taken the car though - I miss my commute.

A taste of things to come...

On Sunday Max and I excitedly trundled the Peaks Dad's Army route pretty much in its full 6 hour format (Hayfield-South Head-Rushup Edge-Edale-Hollins Cross and back to Hayfield) - glorious scenery, awesome technical descents, great cafes, tasty local ales and the nagging worry that the richness of the experience might be too much for our Southern-based cousins, more used to riding in Centre Parcs woods... ;-) :LOL:

We can't wait for you all to ride it next month!

Mr K

More here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=29959

Bright saturday afternoon.

Non-retro I am afraid.

Live at the bottom of Leckhampton hill rude awakening.

Off into the Cotswolds,
random bridleways,
not sure where I went,
bright skies and no people,
great descent down sandy lane home,
learning to love full suspension eekk.

Nice - people - keep 'em flowing.

C'mon Cannondale King, where are you? I shouldn't, but I kind of want to hear what you got up to on your last ride...Vandalised any more of your mum's china lately?

Tired from Chemical Brothers, shoot today finished early, went round Richmond park. enough of the 5-7-5 stuff!

Feeling "tired" after seeing the chemical brothers last night, had a quick job this morning, back home by 12:40, download my images, cracking day for a ride, out along the thames, avoiding flying bugs, round Richmond park (clockwise) day still good, went back round park (anti-clockwise) off at Mortlake onto the thames, battle against the wind, but flying along, look at speedo doing 12mph, pedal faster...still 12mph...realise it's on average, doing 18-21mph working hard, pebble-dashed with midges, new saddle still needs breaking in :shock: ....any way to get front sus? Rattling along like the wind, no one around, back on tarmac, ahhhhhh, back into Richmond, over bridge along the thames to Twickenham, bike dusty....stretches, crackers and nuts, stereo on, have a peek on here while cooling down before a well deserved shower! Now feel great!

Back