Manitou's - help with identification - and a story...

development_cycle

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I bought a pair of manitou Comp's on ebay about 6 months ago, really chuffed, as they were beleive it or not my first ever set of suspension forks. Been a rigid only rider for many years.

So I had to get a new headset fitted, ahead stem etc, as I couldn't find a threaded steerer of the right dimensions, but my lbs told me the forks were shot!

I was gutted, the elastomers were seized, and there was nothing at the bottom of the steerer, to allow for the fork race to be fitted. Luckily for me when the guy realised I was a retro biker, he said "hmm, let me call one of my mates, he may have some of his old racing forks lying around".

2 days later, I had a call, "they're ready to collect". So he had got hold of a set of forks that were race damaged, but took the steerer assembly and elastomers off, and fited them to mine. (didn't even charge me!!)

They were a bit soft, so I bought some new elastomers from SLIM, and before even fitting them I have been smitten by another bike, and am selling up my Marin IFT frame and these forks.

What I need help in identifying is the crown. It does not look anything like any crown I have ever seen on a Manitou before, and as I did not see the donor fork, I have no idea what it is.

I will put a pic here tonight if I can, but a quick description is that it is aluminium, split like the early M1's, but with 4 visible bolts, a bit like the Pace RC35's.

If these are some upgrade that I am not aware of, or even someone's hand crafted I would love to know, you never know, they could even be rare. I will be selling, but want to know exactly what I have first. Any help appreciated.

Cheers
d_c

It does sound like the Manitou 1 crown, these were split from fork leg to fork leg, and had 4 visable allen bolt heads, they were always round the back, so you never saw them.

Interesting. If this is true then it is fitted back to front! I will still take a photo tonight and post it here in case not. I never thought to look at the back of the crown.

Cheers

Tim

Back