Coolwall July 2010 - Nuke Proof

Coolwall July 2010 - Nuke Proof

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
nuke proof

been a lurker here for some time........
The first bike show Nuke proof appeared @ is the Reno bike show (worked in conjunction w/ slingshot,they were nice enough to share the booth with me....right next to the trimble booth!) at that show I met Zap Espinosa (who immediately arranged to have our carbon bar tested on Rod Kirkams off road toad on the next edition of MBA)hung out w/ rod & many other luminaries @ the show
The second Nuke bike show was @ long beach bike show(Rod , peter & pip from syncros & my buddy barry from santana & slingshot all shared a bank of rooms)I shared the booth with slingshot again.. Peter & pip commando'd a both at the show(ballsy,but effective...)

the third bike show was @ the anaheim bike show (sharing the Booth w/ slingshot) is when I met John Munzenmeir who was working w/ slingshot @ the time...He specified interest in the business @ the time and proceeded to purchase nukeproof from us (my Partner was John Mikesell ,who originally came up w/ the nukeproof name & original logo)

Munz had the balls to go up against shimano @ the time producing freehubs....in which many in the industry @ the time were hesitant...

My last royalty check was in the form of a Nuke Ti frame....

Back then it was the wild,wild west in the MTB industry,and anything went.. &
I was so glad to be part of it ......(if even for a brief time) , made many friends in the industry because of it..

Was contacted re: the article recently ,but have yet to hear back from him(spoke to him briefly on the phone)

Attachments

• scan0044.jpg
    scan0044.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,007
I first came across Nuke Proof in 92/93 when I was living in Chicago with a friend who owned a bike shop. He part sponsored a rider who was also sponsored by Nuke Proof (Jenny/ Jenifer?). Jenny had 2 bikes which I thought were the coolest things I’d ever seen (at that stage I was riding a borrowed IRD, 180mm bullseye cranks with a Mavic group set - so the bar was pretty high). When I built up my first Boulder I put on Nuke Proof carbon bars (I think they are still being used on a mate’s bike) because there was nothing like them BITD.

I remember Jenny coming into the shop one day saying she had been held up on the Lakefront and someone stole one of her bikes (set up as a single speed). She later went onto to be sponsored by Cherry Cycles, who made a Ti version of the Amplifier.

Nuke Proof has always been cool.

I've got the suspension specific front hub laced to a Mavic ceramic rim and its ran sweet for years. Must have been earlier hubs that were unreliable. Definately cool BITD, dunno about now........ its just more rebadged far eastern stuff, innit? Nothing wrong with it, just nothing that special about it.

I would say cool for the carbon or ti hubs design, or the front suspension frame they made. The hubs seems the titanium TNT. I had problems with the freewheel and bearings. And how you lace them on the wheel is very important.
But, if I consider these little problems and the poor quality of manufacture and the prices, I would agree with elev12K ;)

nuke proof

i started reading all the comments in this thread but then just sped through it looking for the pictures of the nuke themed eye candy so i guess that gives it away. never owned any nukeproof but always wanted something with that logo on it! the ti frame looks gorgeous.

Only the hubs and Ti frame class as borderline cool-and with age the brand became a bit too diluted (the ringle effect!). 10 years ago pretty special, but in 2010 it's all a bit too yawn.....

Ok, when I started tricking out my original GT back in 1992, Nuke Proof hubs were one of those parts that I wanted, but could never afford. So I never ever managed to get any.

Now I find out that the hubs were very fragile, I feel like a little part of me has died :roll:

That said, I got an email from a mate last night who says that his Dad has a brand new, boxed pair of original Nuke Proof hubs in his attic, and the kid in me went.........Ooooooooooo....

So, on that basis ....COOL !

Back