Ribble 653 Record

Autostrada was near the BSA gun works in Birmingham then eventually moved to a small unit opposite the Reynolds factory I worked there a few years sometimes then statrted up by myself.One of the original guys went to work at Roberts in fact I think he is still there.Mick who owned Autostrada is still around in business but realy only dealing carbon imports,he can build a very good frame when he puts his mind to it.The spray jopbs were hit and miss as you never kept a sprayer for long as its a horrible job :)

I have a couple of frames by Mike. He was out at a place near Weeford but has moved again I think. Nice frames both of mine.

A friend of mine had a Kowal frame, and he loved it.
Andy are you still building frames?, any connection's with Venom, they were brum based i believe.
Did Autostrada also do some building for Cougar?.
Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.
Mike

Ps..I was good once. Any pics of the Kowal's....

Checked the link, your Kowal looks lovely. Reynolds 853 quailty tubing.
I did know, that he was up at Weeford at one time, as i live just outside Lichfield myself. But i never went to see him myself.
But your bike looks, very nicely made, is your fixed wheel 853 as well.
Mike

mavesyn":1j6d8unu said:
A friend of mine had a Kowal frame, and he loved it.
Andy are you still building frames?, any connection's with Venom, they were brum based i believe.
Did Autostrada also do some building for Cougar?.
Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.
Mike

Ps..I was good once. Any pics of the Kowal's....
No but i still have all my jigs and could do if i wanted but got into different things.It is still of great interest to me though.
Yes I knew Venom and built a few frames for them,Terry and Mike go back a long way and have worked for each other over the years
my brother wants his old road frame painted ,its a nice frame ill post some pictures of a before and after when i get time

Hi Andy, yes i would be very interested to see pics, of your brothers frame. And thanks for all your reply's, it's just i have a great interest in frame building, 25 years ago i used to do quite a lot of welding, and some brazing with my job at that time, and i know one day i'll have to build my own frame, most probs be terrible, but it'll be mine.

As this bike is by Mike Kowal, could you tell me please how the gear cable guide is attached to the bottom bracket shell? Mine is held only by the cable tension and I'm wondering if that is why it is shifting like a dog.

Thanks.

Iwasgoodonce":1btcihoc said:
As this bike is by Mike Kowal, could you tell me please how the gear cable guide is attached to the bottom bracket shell? Mine is held only by the cable tension and I'm wondering if that is why it is shifting like a dog.

Thanks.
depends on he bracket shell used,probably a plastic guide held on with a 4mm cap head tapped into the brkt shell or a push fit clip

Latest posts

Back