1995 ( I think) Marin IFTrail New Project / Noob questions

Signal11th

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

Just wandered into this great site and have a story and some pre-build questions.
When I was 20ish me and my mate used to bum around on a couple of MTB's mine was a Specialized RockHopper Comp and my mate had a Marin Indian Fire Trail.
Although mine was a great bike to me and I still see it being ridden sometimes I alway was a little bit jealous of mates Marin.
Anyway as friends do we drifed apart as he moved to Austrailia in 2000 and we kept touch occasionally.
Often during our brief email conversations he would ask how my bike was doing although I'd told him many times that I had sold it.

Anyway we haven't spoken since 2005 apart from the odd email I never understood why he kept thinking I had a bike anymore. Roll forward to 2010. I was round my old man's taking the nipper to see him and just before I was leaving he asked me when I was going to take that bloody bike out of his shed before I chuck it"
I asked him what bike and he then said "Your old mate Steve dropped it off before he buggered off to Austrailia" Lo and behold when I went into the old mans shed there was my mates old 1995 Marin Indian Fire Trail.

The bike itself is in a bit of a sorry state since it's been stuck in a shed for the best part of 13 years but I've decided to get it back on the road.
Now for me the important part is to get it up and running hopefully with some of the parts I remember my mate having on it but if I can't new stuff will be put on.

Now for some reason alot of parts are missing so basically I have the frame ( which needs redoing) the forks, Both wheels , Front Derailliuer . handle bars and Kona Stem, Middleburn Crank, everything else is missing or to rusted to use.

I will post photo's when I get chance and I more than anything need help and advice because I'm not the greatest when it comes to mechanical stuff but I would love to use this bike and see it on the road.

Sorry for waffling so much!!!

Sig

That's a great story mate and top bloke for leaving you his bike even if it is missing a few parts.

If the parts your mate had on it were the original bits we'll be able to get you back up and running in no time, I've got the rear mech you'll need as well as those cool canti brake marin used that years and the white industries crank to match the front hub. Gil_m on here will be able to supply repro graphics, then you need someone to polish it which shouldn't be an issue there's a great guy near me but I'm sure there'll be a good one near you too.

The pictures will definitely help though as we'll have more of an idea what we're working with.

Staf.

another question, I'm looking at putting some Judy XC's / race (the ones my mate had on them) on it for when I'm using it and keeping the original forks safely stored, How can I find out what size i will need? The tube diameter on the original forks is 1" (inside edge to inside edge) and the frame tube it goes into is 1" 1/4 from inside edge to inside edge. So when someone says the Forks are 1" 1/4 steer does that mean the fork pipe is 1" 1/4 or the frame tube is 1" 1/4.

Just read that and it makes feck all sense sorry!! hopefully someone can enlighten me

If it's an IFT it will take a 1 1/8 steerer, which fortunately is the commonest size. Most modern forks will have travel which is too long and ruin the handling. Look for something with 80mm travel or less.

Hi there , IFT's are cool :cool:, does it have the CNC rear chainstay like mine ? I belive this is the 95 models trade mark ;) and is a lovley bit of engineering.

I will advise on checking for hairline cracks around the headtube area especially.

Look forward to seeing the pics :cool:

Hi guys,

Finally got some pictures, the wheels have come up pretty well considering and I have put some Conties on them, I've tried to take a few pictures of the frame just to show the polishers out there what I might need doing.
I would really love to find a red top cap for my Kore Stem. Plus I wouldn;t mind a better conditioned same Ritchey seat either but money is tight so maybe next month.

Please let me know what I need to do and where to start.

Sig

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2,464
Some more

Some more pictures..

Attachments

• bike5.jpg
    bike5.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2,461
  • bike6.jpg
    bike6.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,461
  • bike7.jpg
    bike7.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,461
  • bike8.jpg
    bike8.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,461
you are verym lucky!
middleburn cranks.... i think you will be replying to hs emails promptly now :shock: :LOL: ;)
very nice!
welcome buddy

Aye, I think the cranks might be no good though, on the one there's seems to be some sort of growth on the crank and is very powdery when you touch it.

If a couple of the guys can give me a hand with what I'm going to need in regards to mechs, brakes etc I'd love it to be similar to the other one posted on here GravyMonster I think, the one with the pace forks!!

Signal

Back