I think my (stolen) bike is on gumtree!

Rumble

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
There's an ad on Embra gumtree at the moment which contains what I think is my long since stolen Norco.

Now I could be wrong but it was a fairly rare bike and I only ever saw one other out on the trails and that was in a different colour. This one is exactly the same as mine was when it was pinched in 2007 - same year, colour, all the bits I can see are the same, looks like it may have some scratches/gouges in the fork lowers that I remember. I think the chances of another one coming up so close are pretty slim. I've asked the seller for some close ups which should clarify if indeed it is mine.

I reported it stolen at the time, but have since moved house and don't have the crime number any more. I do have pictures of what it was like when it got stolen, so if it is mine I may be able to prove it.

Anyone been in this situation before - what should I do? I really miss that bike and I'd love it back - I'd even pay for it if I had to. But if it does turn out to be mine I'd obviously rather not! Anyone got any sensible advice on how to proceed?

Afraid i think you've no chance getting it back as owner unlikely to be the theif and thus will dispute any claim you have. He'll be out of pocket if he gave you it back. Plus no claim number means next to zero proof, pictures will only prove its a similar bike.

Buy it if your prepared to as thats probably the only way to get it without strife ;)

Yeah, you're probably right. I've been obsessively comparing the photo in the advert to my pictures and I'm convinced it's my old bike - too many small things (scratches etc) are exactly the same. Doubt the seller is the guy that nicked it but it'll still stick in my throat if I end up paying for it (again), especially as it wasn't insured.

Contact your local police station and ask them?

The station where you reported it must surely have a record.

Tallpaul":1zklyjy9 said:
Contact your local police station and ask them?

The station where you reported it must surely have a record.

Definately mate!!

The police will have your reference number, pics will prove its yours, go round and view the bike but tell the police first about your actions to possibly identify your stolen item, you wont be the first to do this

If it is your bike, pay a small deposit, like £20.00 and tell the buyer you will be back with the balance..............

The balance being "The Old Bill" :LOL: :LOL:

the old bills are far better than the new ones :)

It might be down to how much he is selling it for - is it a bargain, if so he might know it was stolen and that is as bad as nicking it in my book.

If he has added parts then they are his so you would need to balance that out with the cost of replacing them.

Even if the seller wasn't the one who stole it, doesn't the law state that surely he is in receipt of stolen goods which means he has to return it to the original owner if it can be proved it was yours? Caveat emptor and all that. You would have to if it was a car.

When my bike was stolen BiTD, the rozzers actually told me to buy it back. If the current seller bought it in 'good faith' and let's be honest, he will have if you know what I mean, he is not to blame. Unless the law has changed. How much is it selling for?

Checked with the police, they said to go round and look at it and if I can prove it's mine (comparison to my photos) then to leave and call them, they'll "send in the cavalry" (his words!). Got my crime number now as well.

The listing isn't great but it's not the worst - price probably isn't far off but there's very little detail in the ad, makes it seem like it's not a serious rider that's selling - that and there haven't been any upgrades in the past 3 years! Just hope it's not been sold yet...

see if our cops are as good as the US cops

http://www.whatever-whenever.net/blog/2 ... -brooklyn/

and iwasgoodonce is correct about the "good faith" thing, if someone has bought it off the theif or the fence and bought it not knowing it was stolen then technically he is the legal owner, that absolutely sucks but how do you really know? think how many frames/bikes we buy on ebay, what is the history of them? i do my best never to buy stolen stuff, sometimes it's obvious but what are the chances that 1 of the various frames i have bought on ebay over the years has previously been someones pride and joy.

hope you get it back, and i hope it's clear cut that the guy selling is the theif and he gets done. if he is just an innocent dimwitted buyer though then it gets complicated.

good luck :D

Back