GT BIKE RIDER":3ich5npz said:
Project Two, the first straight leg MTB production fork is introduced.

The biggest problem with some of these is they tend to tell the truth how they want it to be told.
There where plenty of other straight bladed fork (Tange, Syncros and even as far as RockShox)

They Jacob.. sorry 'Kona' probably define 'Production' in their own little technical way.

As for sloping top tubes well as we know they've been around for many many decades.. (search for the longish thread on sloping top tubes) was quite a good one, Cunningham was doing them before 'Brodie' did at Rocky and I forget the rest :LOL:

They did make a good choice on the name change though.

sinnerman":qzmm65k1 said:
for me as a young racer......the frames looked hardcore in comparison to other steel manufactured bikes...grab a pic of the same model year specialized stumpjumper 1988, and then an explosif 1988 and tell me you dont see it.......? different strokes for different folks.

All true, even for me as a 37 year old racer in 1988. Still ultra cool now, I just wish it had an extra inch in the top tube....

Much better handling bikes, in comparison to the competion at that time, in my humble opinion. That '88 Explosif of mine can still show a lot of much newer bikes a clean pair of heels on technical singletrack and moorland track descents - it can't be the rider, 'cos I'm an old fart of nearly 60 now, so it must be the bike.
Whatever it is, when it all comes together, it feels pretty good.....you've just got to be prepared to trust it and really rag it.

P2 only stayed around and in this country as they where here and available widely on cheap price point bikes so real people could afford them, look good, light and simple which is a winning design and I think now it's only the 'look' that is the same the forks are long and beefy now (probably as everything seems to be) :D

I was referring to the claim of first production fork not the fork itself. Doesn't matter who designed what and where or what was better. Just doubting the claim that he made.

As for sloping tube I think we came to the conclusion Alan Partridge invented them http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... g+top+tube

Again not the bikes as I know millions love them and I have one myself, I just don't hold to their claims.

But you have to remember most these builder all talked met and used each others ideas as you would expect.

Cannot deny Kona coming to the UK as they moved in early, took Rocky till 1990 ? to get to the UK ? and others well they didn't have the charms of a Canadian bike ;)
Got them settled in an well known before the boom in the start of the 90's

Anyway, on with the pictures :D

I had a wishbone rear stay Mongoose from about 1986 with a straight bladed fork...

Sadly the bike no longer exists but Lewis has the forks.

Back