Spooky Project X Downhill Bike - SOLD

Jon B

Retro Newbie
I think the time has finally come for me to sell the Spooky Project X. This is the 2nd generation of the legendary Frank The Welder DH bike. It's serial number 122, but I believe they started at 100, not zero. I bought it new in 1999 and it’s been an amazing DH bike. Friends have gone through multiple bikes over the years, but nothing has felt better than the Project X. It’s as stable as can be, feels solid on any trails, and handles rocky sections like a dream. The bike has actually seen relatively little use over the years and was never raced. From 1999 to 2002 it saw ~5-6 DH days per year with some urban/local riding mixed in. After that my DH riding slowed down and it’s seen ~2-3 DH days a year. I’m at the point now where I just don’t ride DH enough to justify keeping it. I’d rather see someone else get some use out of it or restore it and keep it as a piece of DH history.

The rear triangle cracked where all Project X’s eventually do. It’s a fatigue issue due to bending from the rear shock mounting. I sent the cracked rear triangle back to Frank The Welder in 2002 and he welded it and added two gussets to fix the problem. Frank had the triangle heat treated and he assured me I would never have the same problem again. It’s been fine since then. All the components have typical scratches from DH riding on rocky trails, but the fork is probably in the worst shape. It’s been maintained well, but rocks have gotten to the lowers on each side. The left side had a dent that seeped oil. I sanded the paint off in the area and used JB weld to seal the leak. It’s been holding for a few seasons now. The right side got a scrape in it which I covered with JB weld just to make sure a leak didn’t develop. Anyway, the fork works and I still ride it without issues, but I would recommend replacing it or at least putting a new set of lowers on. The rear brake lever cracked about 5 years ago. I JB welded it to finish riding that trip, but it worked so well I never bothered replacing it. I do have a brand new lever body that I will include though.

I put an Avalanche DH-S rear shock on to replace the stock Risse shock. I’ll include the Risse shock with purchase, but it needs to be rebuilt. The Avalanche shock was just rebuilt by Craig at Avalanche about a year ago and has less than 3 days of riding on it. It’s set up for a rider in the 150-160lb range and has compression and rebound adjustment.

I also have a set of 24" wheels and tires for the bike I can put on instead of the 26" set. They are Hayes hubs, 24" Sun BFR rims (36 hole). The tires are Arrow Racing Prime Bite 24x2.75". Your choice.

Take a look at the photos and let me know if you want to see anything else specific. I can easily take more photos.

BIKE IS SOLD. Thanks.

SPECS:
2nd generation Spooky Project X frame
Avalanche DH-S rear shock w/ compression and rebound adjustment (Original Risse shock included – needs rebuild)
1999 Rock Shox Boxxer fork (lowers in rough shape) – spare springs and preload spacers included
Chris King headset
Answer Pro Taper bars
No name Azonic copy stem
Hayes disc brakes (8” front, 6” rear) – rear lever is cracked and JB welded – has worked fine for ~ 5 years – new lever body included
Profile DJ cranks and BB
Profile Imperial 44T chainwheel
Original Spooky bolt on chain guide w/ original Mr. Dirk guides
Snafu platform pedals
Shimano 105 rear derailleur
Shimano XT cassette
Shimano XT shifter
Shimano XT rear hub
Marzocchi 20mm front hub
Sun BFR Mammoth 26” rims (tied and soldered spokes)
Maxxis tires (2.5” rear, 2.7” Front)
Thomson seat post (Old race face pot included)
WTB saddle (Old school Tioga DH saddle included)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3,301
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,301
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,301
My 2 pence worth to add.

Having race-tested these frames when they first came out with my crew I can guarantee it's an awesome bike. It literally ploughs through anything. I would love another one myself but sadly cannot commit as I have so many other projects ongoing at the moment.

I place the Project X in my top three downhill bikes of all time, it's an amazing piece of kit.

Great photo!

Frank The Welder really got it right with this bike. Anyone who rides it never expects it to be so capable. Besides being heavy, it still seems to compete with today's modern DH bikes. Pretty impressive for a 10+ year old design.

The thing is, when you're riding it you don't feel the weight. We were taking lines on these where the guys on the M1's, Yeti's and Tomac's wouldn't dare take, you just point and go. I absolutely loved the frame.

I'll share this ad with the adoring masses. That gen was pretty freaking great.

For what it's worth, Jimmy is about to make another batch of Hood Mussels
hood_mussel_race_1.jpg

They are the exact same bikes as that gen ProjectX but made out of 13 pounds of steel.
Burly! Just as indestructable, but unbelievably rigid.
hood_mussel_race_3.jpg

That is some wild shit, eh?

Back