Fixed gear bottom bracket question

oaep7

Retro Guru
Hello all,

Would anyone know or have any advice on what type and what length of bottom bracket (Italian thread I think) could be used with a Mavic 630 SSC chainset being used for a retro fixie build?

Cheers

Original spec was 114mm - but depends on what chainline dimension you're running which will be dictated by the hub model i.e. 42mm track or 46mm road?

I will be using an old campag record road hub.

I'm thinking a miche primato might do it, thats a 107mm spindle and I believe it's slightly adjustable as well.

Mavic's axle recommendation for the 630 for a single chainring was 110mm (116mm for a double). That puts the chainline at about 42mm. You need Campag (ISO) tapers. Given all that, I think the Primato isn't a bad choice.

With a road rear hub, you have plenty of freedom to respace the axle to get the chainline you want. If you screw a track sprocket onto the hub without respacing it, you'll find the required chainline impractically narrow, so my approach would be to fit the cranks, measure the resulting chainline, then respace the hub to suit.

Like this:

measure-chainline-angled.jpg

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

That means I have to read now! haha!

Do you reckon a Campag Veloce 111mm BB would do it?

Thanks again

oaep7":ftpiwr9k said:
Do you reckon a Campag Veloce 111mm BB would do it?
Yes, in fact I was going to suggest a Campag 111mm unit as an alternative. If you can find one, I'd prefer a mid-nineties Athena, or a Record or Chorus cartridge unit. The latter will be expensive, but they're very good quality. All of those models have adjustable chainline, like the Miche Primato. The modern Veloce doesn't.

As it happens, the Miche Primato, the Veloce, and the mid-nineties Athena are all made by Kinex in Slovakia. The cups and cartridge bodies are all interchangeable: Athena cups on a Primato cartridge, etc.

Back