Identify, aging help please. Harry Hall CX ?

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Normally I frequent the other forum...but I need the knowledge here for this one please.

Roadbikes have never really been my thing, though I did own a nice lemond Zurich for a shortwhile.

Anyhoo..I have aquired this bike in a deal involving watches..I took in blind, so had no idea what I was getting really.

HarryHall2010_0806_195705.jpg

HarryHall2010_0807_201858.jpg

HarryHall2010_0807_201926.jpg

HarryHall2010_0806_195846.jpg

HarryHall2010_0806_195652.jpg

HarryHall2010_0806_195630.jpg

HarryHall2010_0806_195636.jpg

HarryHall2010_0806_195821.jpg

HarryHall2010_0806_195857.jpg

HarryHall2010_0806_195916.jpg

Reputedly a Harry Hall CX frame..bought new, though shopsoiled by the guy I got it from...something about bomb damage to the shop at the time.

Steel frame, with some damage to the lower seat tube ( see pic ) but otherwise in good order. Any idea on the type ??

HarryHall2010_0806_195837.jpg

Comes with Campagnolo Omega V 32h on Shimano 600, Exage 500EX f/mech and levers,,105 rear, Campag Athena ?? Chainset and BB. Cinelli bars...frogleg brakes..a real mish mash TBH...its a little on the large side for me.

But before I stick her on the Sales forum or Ebay i would be nice ot have some confirmation of make,age and possible price to set.

Many thanks in advance

Keith

harry hall

looks like a standard spec 60/70;s cross bike, long wheel base to smooth out the bumps but like riding a 'farmers gate', which is what Harry Quinn told me on seeing mine.

re the bomb story, Harry Halls bike shop was severely damaged by a bomb attack by the IRA in june 1996 when they bombed the arndale centre in the centre of manchester.

think all Harry Halls frames were built by outside frame builders ??

Harry Hall, top bloke, top mechanic..........
But did he build the frames?...........i don't know, but someone must........
Wether he built them or not, they always go for a decent price......

Value for a cross bike, have'nt got a clue........

Thanks for the replys Gents.

Shocking about the bomb....doubt thats how the dent was caused though..

:LOL:

So, its definately a HH then..yes ?

Didn't Mike Kowalski build HH's in-house for a while?

Nice CX bike for the taller gent. ;)

Good builder, Mike Kowal, he lived not far from me in the 90's, and built frames in his garage. Not sure about the HH connection, but i believe he did some building for Terry Dolan in his cougar days....

Just found this while flicking through some old mags. I think that's HH filing some lugs and MK setting up the frame jig. Magazine is dated April '72 and I've an ideas that this may well have been taken in the basement of the old shop by the Cathedral. If this is correct it shows they did build frames on the premises.

Attachments

• HarryHallAdApril72ICS.A.jpg
    HarryHallAdApril72ICS.A.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,667
Cool advert, very retro.............
Well it prove's Harry could use a file. And MK was doing some building for Harry.
Nice one Old Ned. :) .

mavesyn":35wttiha said:
Cool advert, very retro.............
Well it prove's Harry could use a file. And MK was doing some building for Harry.
Nice one Old Ned. :) .

On the other hand, I suppose it could all have been posed in someone else's workshop.

Perhaps we'll never know............................

BTW, are Mike Kowalski and Mike Kowal the same person? I have a feeling that Kowalski started his own frame building business somewhere in Lancashire after leaving HH's.

Old Ned.
I don't know the name Kowalski. But Mike Kowal is still in the bike business, and if that was him in the picture, he'd be some age by now. :D .
Have you, seen the Ribble 653 thread?. Andy on that thread, would know, but i think his had enough question's from me.. :LOL: .

Back