My Headtube in better detail :cool:

003-6.jpg

On sloping top tubes, Rocky Mountains had flat top tubes until they met Paul Brodie. And the Cascade range that Joe Murray designed for The Bicycle Group also had flat top tubes. Then TBG changed the name from Cascade to Kona and Joe Murray worked with Paul Brodie on them. Hey presto, Konas had sloping top tubes.

I believe TBG was the US distributor for Marin and ran their race team. Joe Murray was a Marin team rider, hence the association with him.

Brodie was an artist before going to RM to work as a painter. There he learned to weld and then set up on his own. The 1988/9 and 1990 ranges of Kona were welded in Taiwan and shipped to the USA for Brodie to finish them (braze-ons etc) and paint them. I assume that he must have been responsible for the design of the paint work as well.

From 1991, the association with Brodie ended and the bikes were finished, painted and assembled in Taiwan. Spatter disappeared and the paintwork became plain. I expect getting spatter right isn't as easy as it looks - if you're going to have it, best to have it done by an artist.

Some credit for the plentiful supply of early Konas here must go to JP Saville, the proprietor of the importers Second-Level Sport. He imported Kona right from the beginning and told me that he was initially taking over half of their total production. He now runs Quest Adventure Sports in Worthing.

I was racing at the Malverns Classics I think in 1990 / 1991 on my Cindercone. Hence the grumble about transmission on that previous post - it was on the climb.

My mate Matt also had an explosive, of which I was always quite jealous, and he raced there too.

Brilliant weekends. Dance tent, pasta, bbq, oh - and that race thing.

Anybody know of any links to the videos that were made and produced professionally. It still niggles that we didnt (or at least I dont) have any photos from that era.

Good times....

Perhaps we could host it elsewhere (like vimeo.com?) and just post the link here....

Do you have a digital version of it? That would be the first step....

Worth doing anyway before VCR dieth !

Now, back to my newfound quest for a 1990 cinder cone... My one used to live in my lounge !

Decent placing that btw, i was a mid pack rider really just along for the buzz. I recall the circuit being quite long, and i was much faster on the downs that most mid pack riders were, but usually lost it all on the next climb :shock:

These are my fondest memories of cycling - a bunch of us chipped in for a vw camper so we could get further at the weekends to ride. Coupled with John's post a few weeks back about Leckhampton hill in Cheltenham, i do wonder why I ever stopped cycling for a while.

I was at Fort William during the week doing the downhill and red routes for fun, and man, do i love bikes more than ever...

Back