Before and after

alpinestar222

Devout Dirtbag
My new singlespeed Kona built from a mish-mash of old and new parts.
rides like a dream and fits like a glove. I love it! :p

98 frame - powder coat "yellow green"
P2 fork
Hope stem
Titec xc riser
92 Deore crankset
Spd pedals
Avid arch rival Vee's
Mavic 517/221
Ritchey rear 2.0 /panaracer front 2.3
Kmc chain
36/16 gearing
24/7 seat post
Selle royal saddle
4-jery chain tensioner
Decals pending

Attachments

• kona1speed.JPG
    kona1speed.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,537
  • konaold.jpg
    konaold.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,537
Cheers :D
Those brakes are astounding for non disks, I nearly went over the bars on my test ride. Loads of scope to lighten it later down the line but just needs to be ridden up hill and down dale for now. Saturday morning I'll be up at Rivington scaring sheep on my new lean mean Green machine :p

Looks good,

What prep did you have to do to the frame before powder coating?

Thinking whether to get my new (to me) old bike done :)

G

I found a place in Preston, they primarily restore alloy wheels but can coat anything within reason. I did no prep, just dropped it off and picked it up a day later. They bead blast it first then do the business. Very good friendly service and all done for £40
It looks like new so I'd recommend it.

Attachments

• DSC05818.JPG
    DSC05818.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,484
WOW... :)

It does look good...cheapest price I've found near me is £60 - £25 for the shotblast, £35 for the powder coat...But I am in London :roll:

Sorry to harp on about the frame and the powder coating

Did you have any rust on the frame beforehand, or was it in good condition?

Thanks

Powder coating is brilliant. For the weight worried it does weigh a good bit more than paint. It's so strong though. Seem to recall every magazine review comment on Saracen's bullet proof powder coat. Mine is still passable seventeen years later. Go for it I reckon.

RE:condition

It was just ok, not a mess by any means but tatty round the edges here and there. The high Chromium content in Chrome Molibdinum tubes helps resist corrosion along with the higher tensile strength it gives and it's usually not hard to remove.
I got some rough emery paper and tested a few areas of surface rust to ensure it was solid but if its half decent you should be fine.
They do take orders by post and have a website, Not sure if I'm allowed to post that on here though, I'll take advice on that one.
They have a pretty large colour chart to choose from, I think next my Alpinestars may be getting a coat of a cream white that I found there in the near future, so I was well satisfied.

Oh, don't get me on colour!!! :)

Trying to choose a colour is going to be the hardest part!...Every bike that goes by changes my mind one way or another!!

I hadn't thought of green tho ;)

Do a Google on RAL colour charts.. find a chart , pick a short list of 3 :LOL:
I had a very pale blue, sky blue and the green.
Fnd a Powder coater on Yel.Com in your area and they can probably get any colour you like. They did Matt colours too.
I imagine white would be nice on most steel framed bikes, there were several shades on the chart. I'd hate to pick the wrong colour..when in doubt crib someone elses colour :twisted:

Latest posts

Back