Ive just got a Hetchins!

Just a quick update if anyone is interested.....

I've had confirmation back from len Ingram, the compiler of the hetchins register, that it is indeed a magnum bonum scorpion, but he thinks it may be earlier than 1982 as he has one with a higher serial number that is an 81. At least its definately not fake!
i just need to update him with more details of the previous owner and it's in the register..... And I've bagged a campag front shifter that I hope matches today from the bay...... Well see!

hetchins

Hi
If you look at the front of the rear mech,what does it say!!
I have a 1st gen super record rear mech fitted to my benotto model 3000
Which is on the forum,if it says super-record on yours then probably is 1st gen.also any patent numbers stamped on the body.
can you get better photos of the mech!!!
Look at these 2 for reference

1/ Campagnolo Super-Record 1st Gen
2/ " " " 2nd "

Nice Hetchins,really lovely.I also would leave the paint as-is
But maybe fit british period components,not that i would definitely buy the seat post off you!!!

I have a 1980s Colnago Super with 2nd gen super record.It's screaming out for the post
Just let you know,The 1st gen super record mech i purchased for my Benotto cost me a small fortune,very rare.That was 4yrs ago

Malc (07899937939) give us a call to discuss

See photos

Attachments

• 8EA34642-A73A-4C4D-8C5D-455240CD3BD4.jpg
    8EA34642-A73A-4C4D-8C5D-455240CD3BD4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,254
  • F3BEA25B-6908-414E-B373-7DD448ABF255.jpg
    F3BEA25B-6908-414E-B373-7DD448ABF255.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,254
Very nice bike, excellent condition. You're very lucky to find it like that.

I would say it's a 1st Gen SR rear mech. The front plate is similar to the NR mech style before they changed to the 'smooth' version. There should be a date stamp on the top next to the cable stop, it will say 'Pat XX' which I believe is the year of manufacture.

Not sure about the 'bars though. They're at a very strange angle even for 'South of France' design which I think they might be. Personally I'd change them for something a bit 'squarer' which will give more support but if they're 'in period' then you may want to keep them.

EDIT - just realised Malc's already said some of that, DOH!!

Thanks for the reply tho :0)

I'll ride it a bit first before making any decisions on the bars, but I know I have to change the stem to a slightly longer one..... It is in remarkable condition considering, and i have confirmed it is definately a 1st gen sr rear mech..... Its date stamped 78 ..... So that's gone a good way towards making up the initial cost of the bike..... I'm still very happy!

The mech is one of the things that I would keep on the bike. The cranks and post are the expensive pieces would be 1st nominated to leave. My 2cts.

hetchins

Pat
I have a complete campag record strada to show you
This is complete.fitted to the Brian Rourke Road bike i told you about
Notice the "patent" engraving on the 52 chainring and also the dust covers
Clearly shown in the photos
The patent stamp was used up until 1978,therafter the "Brev" Engraving was introduced
Also to note that in 1973 campagnolo started date stamping on there crankset arms,again clearly shown in the photo.Pre 1973 cranks had no date stamp
The 3 inside the diamond denotes this as being a 1973 Chainset
So one of the 1st to be stamped.
Regards Malc

Attachments

• Campag Record Chainset 1973 004.jpg
    Campag Record Chainset 1973 004.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • Campag Record Chainset 1973 003.jpg
    Campag Record Chainset 1973 003.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,214
  • Campag Record Chainset 1973 002.jpg
    Campag Record Chainset 1973 002.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,214
  • Campag Record Chainset 1973 001.jpg
    Campag Record Chainset 1973 001.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,214
Thanks Malc..........Ive got to have a look for one of those now.... :D

I can see this bike becoming a money pit!

On the upside, One just sold one ebay for £1360.00 !! and it was in the Town where I live too!

I think mine looks nicer than that as well

hetchins

Hi Pat
Hopefuly it will be an investment for you,Enjoy her
Don't forget to ask about the 151 bcd cranks
Give us a call when convenient.
Been working all day on the Brian Rourke Today.
Now Looking For Campag Record Brake Calipers And Levers to Suit The Rourke
Best
Malc

Back