bbc4 now! Story of bike

Hi

Just wondering why the Repack record still stands as it was set in 77, is it out of respect for Gary or just not something someone does any more? Just been reading about Gary on http://fisherbikes.com/gary/story/

Fantastic programme as others have said wish there were more like this one.

There was an attempt sometime later, one of the Lawwills I think but even on a modern machine it was still around 10secs off. CK will give you the answer. Nowadays there is a gate across the route at some point that would add 20-30 seconds to the time. I guess the record will never be beat.

I rode it the other year on a modern bike. It's not much like it was in the 70s, apparently, but still steep, fast and sketchy. The group time was about 15 minutes, what with pictures and falling off and stuff :)

736583476_a2c9034473.jpg

736579008_8aad3a971a.jpg

DeSelby":o6h6mbxb said:
Just wondering why the Repack record still stands as it was set in 77, is it out of respect for Gary or just not something someone does any more?

I rode it just the other day on my FS, disc brake modern bike, and I don't think I can go any faster on it than BITD. I was riding in shorts and jersey, with no armour, so I rode at about 80% rather than race speed, but I can still get around five minutes.

In its heyday the course regulars were turning in times under 4:40 on a regular basis and consistently within a few seconds of their previous times. Under optimum conditions a few got under 4:30. I think the key was that we were racing a lot, and dialing in the course, which is essential to a top time.

The first 200 yards are slightly uphill with a soft surface, and there were as much as five seconds that could be taken there by fast riders over slow riders, which is why the top times were turned in by road racers. On the record setting day, Gary took off with a strong tailwind that probably earned him a couple more seconds.

The course changes from season to season, and it now has waterbars that didn't exist then. Because it has those waterbars, it no longer has the deep erosion ruts that followed the fall line.

Since so much of my life pivoted on that event, every time I ride it is an emotional as well as a thrilling experience, of a sort I share with perhaps half a dozen others. There is no way to put it into words.

It's really lovely to hear these tails straight from someone who was there when it all happened... I suppose that's the beauty of the internet as it stands today... In the 90's when I was discovering the sport, I'd read about how it all started and how it developed in magazines... Or discuss it with friends over a Twix at the corner shop near Rivington. Now I can log on to a forum and there's first hand written material about it. Brilliant!

Thanks.

Fascinating, Charlie. Thanks for that.

My bike is bedding in beautifully. I've ridden it a lot around the Brecon Beacons; I was in the Pyrenees for a few days in June, over Tourmalet, Soulor and other cols; and I took it down to the Alps to ride the Marmotte cyclosportive in July, which is a pig of a day out. It handles beautifully at high speed, it's light enough on the long climbs and I do feel ok after a long day aboard - crucial for me. I think the 953 is a lovely alloy, and the people at Reynolds rock, but I always baulk at trying to explain the ride characteristics of one material over another. Not sure if I've been on a bike enough yet. Loving it, though.

I took it down to the Alps to ride the Marmotte cyclosportive in July

How did you get on Rob, I rode it for the first time with 2 mates in around 10 hrs and my god it was tough. I've written an article on it which I think will be posted soon on the front page. I was riding my custom made Pegoretti and it was an incredible experience, the bike handled so well on the downhills that it gave me incredible confidence, and was really comfy on the climbs, my body was falling apart at the seems but none of that was the bikes fault!!

Will you be doing it again?

Welcome to RB, Rob; Awesome documentary.

I too would have liked to see an interview with Chris King, but also Royce - They make some of the most exceptional components in the world, they're British, but yet they seem to lack exposure...

Amazing details from Charlie about the changes in the Repack course & what it took to post the fastest times. Where else could you get such fascinating information? There's such a lot of great info on this site; I hope it's all archived on a bombproof server...?

And, for those who can't access BBC iPlayer, the program is now posted on YouTube. The quality is obviously lower, but it's still VERY much worth watching.

Username = "marvinmedium".
Part one is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj4iu8w5Dys

BBC iPlayer

Unfortunately for those of us outside the UK, iPlayer TV is not available due to TV legal rights. Whereas iPlayer radio is no problem. I'll have to wait until its on discovery... shame

Charlie thanks for the answer to the question about the Repack record and the further insight into the ride / course. Good to hear your still getting up there and enjoying it as well hope you get back there soon.

:D

DeSelby

Back