Cracked 853 should I MIG weld it?

elpedro - that's exactly it! just bloody sold though!!

Just checking the written blurb, and it is a guarantee not warranty. And yes, I am happier with this offer, the first was the Sterling frame only, I did ask about repair, replacement, even suggested they could build me something along the same lines, filltet brazed in their frame shop and I would pay the difference. So, overall, after sending them a few emails and being ademant that I didn't want the Sterling, I have some options that are not totally unpaletable.

I'm leaning towards the repair still, but if work was a bit better (self-employed) I may have decided to put the partial reimbursement towards a custom build.

RockiMtn":1liqy7f6 said:
if i were in your shoes, i'd take the repair and 2 year warranty. honestly can't expect something to last forever, can you?

true but 5 years before frame failure? seems a bit poor to me,

02gf74":1wc7ug6w said:
RockiMtn":1wc7ug6w said:
if i were in your shoes, i'd take the repair and 2 year warranty. honestly can't expect something to last forever, can you?

Especially when you consider the site is populated by people with mass-produced, non-failing bikes much, much older than that. . .

5 years is pitiful.. imo.

sure it's 5 years, but they are admitting that the failure is premature and is a cause of faulty quality/workmanship. they've not denied it, hide behind making excuses, or cast blame on the customer. they are attempting to make it right and stand by their product.

The important idea in all this is "reasonable".

Thorn seem to be doing everything reasonably possible to fulfil their obligations. A reasonable customer should appreciate this.

Sure it's not the perfect solution - but that's not possible. It's certainly as good a solution as you'd get anywhere else in the same situation.

IDB1":2dhccpuv said:
02gf74":2dhccpuv said:
RockiMtn":2dhccpuv said:
Especially when you consider the site is populated by people with mass-produced, non-failing bikes much, much older than that. . .
FPWM.

That said, imagine it were a mass-produced, older bike, that just so happened to have a lifetime guarantee, or warranty - perhaps an unlikely scenario, I'll grant you, but go with it...

I doubt there would be quite the same degree of willingness to do the right thing, from a big company, for an old, yet still under guarantee or warranty, frame.

To me it's been quite refreshing, reading the email from the company, and seeing that they're still trying to keep a customer happy.

I think you should go for £400 - £500 settlement in cash and keep the frame.

Then get your frame TIG welded, MIG is too aggressive for bike frames.

I got a frame crack TIG`d by a work colleague a number of years ago and its been OK since. But he did "warm" the surrounding area first.

Have recently TIG`d a cracked lug on a lugged frame and then re-brazed the tubes into it.

If I were in your position, I would want to know who will do the repair. If as I suspect it is Argos just down the road, then it would be absurd to have any doubts as to whether it would be a good repair.

The only point at issue would then be the warranty. I don't see how he can say that he would expect the frame to last as long as a new one, but would nevertheless reduce the warranty from lifetime to two years. Presumably he means that is all the warranty that Argos/ANO will give him, so he proposes to palm off that problem onto you.

He isn't bound to do that. People like that are far too prone to hide behind third-party warranties, and forget their own ultimate responsibility to the end-user. I think you are within your rights to ask him to honour the warranty that you paid for.

Back