1991 Cannondale SM700 - ridden at OWMTBC

Yes - just thread the post through the spokes handle end first. The valve's sufficiently far from the head of the post to let the saddle clear the tyre.

Good idea on the Blackburn - I've got various pumps kicking around, if I can't straighten out the original a bit of cannibalisation may well do the trick :)

A good bike you have found…
The last bike which keeped the ritchey fork inn 1991 (other top C'dale bikes get the pepperoni front)
You could find this bike in a blue-black color scheme too, but more rare.

:D

I've got a Pepperoni for another bike (although the fork's on a shelf pending getting around to it). I actually quite like the look with the skinny fork. I've only seen the blue/black in the catalogue - much prefer the black/splatter. Needs a little touching up on the top tube and fork, though.

So, talk to me about paint. There are bare patches from cable rub on the fork crown, currently roughly blown in with some random rattlecan by the looks. Also a few missing bits on the top tube, suspect from U-locking. Only touching up, but would I be best off with spray (with concomitant masking/overspray faff) or brush? I'm leaning brushwards because they're all small patches - nothing bigger than a 5p.

1991 'dale

nice find!
i've got a 1991 M500 which has black with white splatter paint and the decals are in bright pink.

Great wee bike. Only thing left original now though is the Suntour X1 front mech. Rest has all been upgraded. it should be back in full commission again shortly, after getting the wheels serviced after all they had completed over 1k hard miles in their time!! :LOL: :LOL:

Otherwise it's like a Rolex and works perfectly all the time no matter what you throw at it!!1

Greig.

Had a few minutes earlier, so I thought I'd take a look in daylight :) Here it is as it arrived:

Attachments

• arrived.jpg
    arrived.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 3,198
Some details:

Attachments

• stembar.jpg
    stembar.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3,196
  • lxcrank.jpg
    lxcrank.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,196
  • pedal.jpg
    pedal.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 3,196
  • toptube.jpg
    toptube.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 3,196
Very quick (and not terribly effective) wash and strip off the clutter:

Attachments

• cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3,195
The good news is it's almost entirely original, except for the tyres, which are currently some hideous Cheng Shin horribleness. Although the goldy-coloured bar looks slightly out of place, but given that nothing else has been changed I don't know why it would have been. Will worry about that later. Frame and fork and most of the bits in decent nick, although it won't change gear because the cables are all rusted up.

The bad news is that anything resembling a bearing is in a pretty sorry state. Actually, the headset doesn't feel too bad, I'm confident that cleaning and regreasing will be all that's needed there. BB is spectacularly loose, but I'm not being so purist that I'm not happy to just stick a new one in. Pedals are loose, rear hub loose, front hub notchy. I'll strip and regrease and see how they go, but I'm not wildly hopeful of perfect results. I'll settle for "doesn't rattle, goes round" though :)

And I need to get some paint on the fork 'cos there's Actual Rust on it.

Overall though, pretty pleased. Still chuffed that the seatpost was there :)

Back