Ibis Spanky £399 UK Posted

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well, just about to rebuild this SS stylee, but I'm thinking 'what's the point' ... it is just a wee too big for me.
I'll offer it for sale again for a week and if no takers in that time I will commit to rebuilding it.

This is my Ebay advert I just lifted and pasted to save me writing everythjing again...sorry if it sounds a bit gushing :oops: :LOL:

1998 Ibis Spanky.

Up for sale I have this gorgeous and pretty rare Ibis Spanky frame and fork.

This is the actual frame road tested by Cycling Weekly in May 1998.
I have a copy of this magazine (a big thank you to the kind person who gave this to me) ... and below are some quotes from the road test.

'Clearly, the frame-builders from Sebastopol, California have gone to great lengths in an effort not to build just another high-end steel road bike by speccing their own, custom-drawn and butted tubing, and with tongues firmly in cheeks, Ibis's Moron tubing has been designed to have less material in the centre of the tube and more on the ends, where the strength is needed.
Nothing new about that, sure, but Ibis has tweaked things further by using shorter butt lengths, shorter transitions between wall thickness, and greater differentials between the thick and thin sections of the tube. They also alter the way the tube-and therefore the bike-behaves, by determining each tubes diameter.'

'Thoughtful and stylish touches come thick and fast on Ibis bikes, and the Spanky is no exception. As standard, the frame comes with a pump peg, two bottle bosses, a ring-reinforced head tube, lightweight seat collar and a polished, stainless-Metax drive-side chainstay.'

'So what makes the Spanky road bike so special - weird S&M-type moniker aside? Well, its all in the details. For instance, should you take a close look at the lustrous metallic eggplant paintwork, not only will you discover that 'metallic eggplant' is black with a hint of metallic deep purple...'

This frame has a 55.5cm seat-tube and 56.5cm top-tube.
The botton bracket shell is 68mm and English Thread.
Rear spacing is 130mm with the front obviously at 100mm.
Headtube is 1" and the brand new Chris King GripNut headset is included.

Condition?
I'll list the 'bad' bits first.
There are chips to the paint where the front derailleur was fitted (pictures 8/9).
There are surface rust veins within the paintwork..an example given in picture 10.
There are some scratches to the non-drive chainstay (picture 11)

If the above concern you than please do not buy the frame.

Overall, the frame is a beautiful. The paintwork still has a deep lustre, the welding, tubing, decals etc
are excellent...the frame modestly oozes quality.

I'm selling as it is just a wee too big for me. I am only about 5'9" and have a long torso but silly
little stumpy legs at around 29" inseam. The top tube is fine for me with a 100mm stem and modern
compact handlebars. The top tube is a little uncomfortably close to the family assets!

Price is £500 UK Posted...frame, fork and brand spanking Grip-Nut CK headset.

I guess the surface rust worms/veins are putting peeps off...they are concentrated around the downtube...I'm not overly concerned, I've seen worse but of course, please make your own mind up about it.

If you have anything road and smaller (54 for me I guess) or MTB 17" I could be interested.

Pictures here
http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/ac31 ... es/Spanky/

Stuffforsale794.jpg

Was watching this on e-bay and was elieved when it ended!

Road bike sizes are a myth to me - what sort of height person would this fit?

nevadasmith":73f4lrag said:
Was watching this on e-bay and was elieved when it ended!

Road bike sizes are a myth to me - what sort of height person would this fit?

I'm very much a newbie when it comes to road frames too....I'm 5'9" but have short legs at about 29" inseam. This is a picture of it fully built. The saddle is a wee too low down I guess...and the top is too high against my crotch.

Stuffforsale614.jpg

wow that's very nice indeed. Sadly my cupboards are bare and although I have a singlecross I could swap possibly bit too big for you anyway

fontmoss":15nrokei said:
wow that's very nice indeed. Sadly my cupboards are bare and although I have a singlecross I could swap possibly bit too big for you anyway

Thanks...I really need something in 'Stumpy Welshman Size' :LOL:

I can do £450 posted without the King headset if anyone is interested.....or PX WHY?

I'm not going to build this up...no point as it is too big...so it needs to sell.

£450 UK Posted with the new King headset..and I'll throw in an old but still good silver Thomson in-line seat-post, and the hardly used RaceFace Cadence Compact bars I bought for it.

Back