1996 Bontrager Privateer - thinking of selling

RJSB

Retro Newbie
Hi

I'm trying to decide whether to sell or fix up my old Privateer. I still use it regularly, but the elastomers in the Quadra 21R shocks have crumbled to nothing, and I can't find replacements. And most of the components are getting pretty sloppy. The frame is sound.
So, I have 2 questions, I guess:
Is it worth fixing?
If not, is there anyone interested in the frame?

Any opinions, suggestions, offers etc?

cheers

R

Somebody here ought to be able to sort you out with some elastomers.

As to whether it is worth fixing, I'd say surely yes unless you would just prefer rid, in which case I'm sure you'll find a buyer without any trouble at all...

Thanks. New elastomers would be great. Does someone have some for sale?
I've seen mention of an upgrade to non-elastomer inserts (Englund cartridges), but others have told me that these forks will only work with elastomers. Any advice?
Fork bushings etc seem to be fine

cheers

R

Strip it and then slowly put it all back together....just like a Woman.
You will fall in love all over again.

That's great. I should have thought to ask here earlier.
As I recall there were different densities available, but I can't now remember what I was using, and I'll take whatever you have.
I think 3 are used in each side.
How much do you want for them and how can I arrange payment?

cheers

R

Oh right, that's different. What I have is three pieces, separated by black plastic spacers. The idea was that the colour/density of the elastomer pieces could be mixed to "fine tune" the shock performance. I never noticed much difference though!
I'm not sure now of the original total stack height for these 3 elastomers plus spacers, because they have basically crumbled to dust. However, if I can only get a one piece elastomer, I guess it is going to be the right length and I'm sure it will be fine. I will try to measure what I have this evening.

cheers

R

Back