Need help dying or coloring Titanium

Kokies,

Anodizing Ti is easier than Al, however, still requires a professional/experienced touch to produce consistent results.

The color spectrum is controlled by the voltage and the time the part is exposed, producing a darker colors with more power. Black, however, is not attainable...the darker colors are more consistently blues and purples.

If you want black, paint or powder is your best bet.

cheers,

rody

blimey, I stand corrected (and cursing my poor memory :roll: )
that's the one new thing I'll learn today so i might as well leave work now!

okay! i've found out how to anodise Ti at home - seems very simple although to achieve different colours you'll bneed a higher voltage battery (I don't advise using mains :LOL: )

the colours achieved depend onthe voltage (see picture below) and the following link shows how to do it (achieving a purple colour from 9V

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3f178ca927d05010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

intersetingly enough Al anodized coatings have a much lower thermal conductivity and coefficient of linear expansion than aluminum. thus as a result, they will crack if exposed to temperatures above 80°C - something to be aware of in hot countries if you leave your bike in the sun maybe?

Attachments

• Ti-color-strip.jpg
    Ti-color-strip.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 2,493
So I did it

not to bad for my first time, with some batteries and cola.

Attachments

• IMG_3021ss.jpg
    IMG_3021ss.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_3022ss.jpg
    IMG_3022ss.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 653
Back