APEC

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Man is Sydney ever crazy this week.. There is a fenced section in the City to hold back "trouble".. Sirens every 5 minutes.. George W rocked into town last night and is staying on the same street I work on.. Police everywhere, protestors hiding in the wings and not a suit in sight [we've been told to come into work in Civilian Wear so we don't look like a Delegate of the Asia Pacific Economic Corporation :shock: ]

I know there's no one else in Sydney on the forum, but has this conference reached the news in the UK, Europe or the US? It's all anyone is talking about down here..

Sydney Morning Herald: Sydney Grinds to a halt

Sydney Morning Herald: G'day Mate..

howardbush_wideweb__470x314,0.jpg

kingroon":284vnj7u said:
I know there's no one else in Sydney on the forum, but has this conference reached the news in the UK, Europe or the US? It's all anyone is talking about down here..

Well no one seems overly fussed about it down here in Hobart, so other than the odd news report in the US I'd be amazed if it rated a mention anywhere else. Obviously if there was a bit of violence or an attempt on the president it would rate more highly, but I hope none of that happens and the fencing etc in hindsight all becomes regarded as overkill.

Oh and Sydney grinds to a halt on a regular basis so you should be used to that by now anyway ;)

weve had reports that its going on, and about the fence but it isnt big news.

Like most things its bigger news the more effect it has on you.

They letting you in and out from work alright then?

Was listening to the radio yesterday, apparently the NSW police intended to arrest protesters in the 'exclusion zone' even if they won a right to march in the courts this morning! What's the point of Bush coming to Aus if the public can't get anywhere near him? Chickenshit :p

Edit (this post has turned into a long ramble. Sorry.:LOL:) : Was trying to listen to the Bush/Howard press conference on ABC Radio but work kept getting in the way and I only caught a bit. Shame, I reckon it could have been quite amusing.

The only bit I caught, Bush was asked about the fences and he said yeah it was necessary, but in a couple of days Sydney would get back it's "amazing freedom", although "there are places in the world where this freedom doesn't exist". Anywhere he happens to visit then?

The old 'freedom' thing never ceases to amaze me. At the risk of sticking my neck out too far here, Republicans always go on and on about it as if they are the only ones with the key to the garden. Roon, did you see that Chaser where Charles Firth asked New Yorkers what was the best thing about America? Notwithstanding the Chaser boys editing skills, it was eye-opening to see how many people responded 'the freedom' as if US citizens were unique in being able to spend money how they want, travel freely, and criticise their government without being thrown in the slammer. It's a weird mindset...

Geoff":2nrgch1d said:
They letting you in and out from work alright then?

Was listening to the radio yesterday, apparently the NSW police intended to arrest protesters in the 'exclusion zone' even if they won a right to march in the courts this morning!

Yes getting in and out of work okay, the CEO wrote us each a letter of authorisation etc. not that that would stop the AFP from gunning you down if you looked a bit shifty :roll:

Not that I look shifty ;) :LOL:

An email went around this arvi with these photos attached too; Police Snipers spotted on the roof of the Intercontinental [the hotel where Bush is staying] on Bridge Street, about 200m from my office.. Spooky..

You can see the fence in the bottom one..

Attachments

• S8002453.jpg
    S8002453.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,886
  • S8002460.jpg
    S8002460.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,886
  • S8002454.jpg
    S8002454.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,886
  • S8002458.jpg
    S8002458.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,886
Geoff":2gnghzuv said:
...Bush was asked about the fences and he said yeah it was necessary, but in a couple of days Sydney would get back it's "amazing freedom", although "there are places in the world where this freedom doesn't exist"...

Why does he always append a sensible response with a totally abstract remark?!?

Geoff":2gnghzuv said:
Roon, did you see that Chaser where Charles Firth asked New Yorkers what was the best thing about America?

No mate sorry, have to admit to never having seen an episode.. :oops:

Hmm........curiously unattended rifle there..........

"Christ Bruce, they're tryin' ter kill Bushie.........saunter towards our gun immediately- bollocks, they already got him............."

Not daft, the Sydney Polis........

Back