1976 F W Evans frame restoration

shuffle

Retro Newbie
I've just had my 76 Evans frame restored by Argos Cycles in Bristol and I've put a brief video clip up on YouTube. Seems that I need one forum post before I can put up a link so this is my first post and I'll put the link in the next one.

Any other Evans owners out there?

Chris

Beautiful colour. They do a good job at Argos.

You are going to build it up I hope. :D

Nice frame and video, nice to hear the history of it, from when you bought it and the colour scheme.

Hope your move to Canada goes ok, do update with the rebuild too :)

stu

I have a Evans Touring bike from the late 80s,

I recently had it powder coated to to freshen it up and it does duty's as a single speed shopper. I bought it from the branch in the cut, at the time it was a stopping point for all the cycle tourists setting off and coming back from the tours, many a fond time in there.

I too have an Evans touring bike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52939874@N06/4882726291/

I bought it as a frame only from the Kingston Upon Thames branch in the late 80s. I think it was an old one that had been unsold a while as it had old style 531 stickers not 531C or 531ST as normal for that time. It was used as a commuter bike until an unplanned impromptu 3 month tour of East Africa in 1989. Ironically all the "touring" features like pannier, double bottle cage and cantilever bosses weren't added until the first respray when I got back from the tour. It then went back to commuter duties and only did one more 2 week tour before I stopped riding in the mid 90s. It got another respray and threadless fork steerer in 2006 and has been a commuter again for the last year.
Sadly it has developed a tendency to frame shimmy and the last incident ended up with me coming off and breaking a bone in my wrist. So it's now time to retire the frame and hang it on the wall. Apart from the history attached to it I wouldn't feel happy selling it on in case someone else had a crash on it.

It was originally a great bike to ride and was painted in the famous Evans black.

Mark.

That is a very nice restoration- Next respray it'll have to be Argos I reckon.

Back