GT LTS 2000 project

Coming along nicely BobCatMax. I have the same model and it is in the process of being put together now. Unfortunately I think it will be only a throw together to get it in one piece for the moment. I would like to fully convert the rear to roller bearings as my LTS 1 has but time, for the moment won't permit it.

I thought so too Sam,

spending most of my time hunting the FS forum looking for some compatable rings..bah.

Thanks TMC,

got any pics of it up yet?

In case you haven't heard of this link, this is what it looked like in its original specification.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

The middle ring looks the worst, but I've seen worse than that - it's easily replaceable from Chain Reaction. Hopefully the big ring will just about do, because they're very difficult to find. I would guess the chain was the worst problem. If you put a ruler along it, setting zero against one of the pins, check how far out the links are from half an inch each - if say 20 links measure 10 1/8" or more, the chain is worn out.

I've never seen a star-fangled nut like that before. The mind boggles!

Thanks for the advice Anthony. A little hunting on here and thanks to ratbane i'm one crankset up.

Went for a spider that i can actually replace the big ring with,unlike the one pictured up there.

Chain is next, although i went out for a hack yesterday and everything seemed fine. I will try the ruler test this afternoon.

thanks for the bikepedia link. I've had a gander at the before. Interestingly though, retrokona and i have been discussing whether my front mech is top or bottom pull. We both think it's bottom, but bikepedia says top..

what do you think?

FrontMech-STX-RCMC38.jpg

BobCatMax":pi6lr2ts said:
retrokona and i have been discussing whether my front mech is top or bottom pull. We both think it's bottom, but bikepedia says top..

what do you think?
No they're right, it's what they call a top-swing, bottom-pull fm. Top-swing means it's the type with the clamp quite low, whereas conventional-swing means the clamp is above the top of the cage. If they wanted to use one of those, they would have had to make the stub tube longer, so it looks like a sensible choice.

You're not letting on how the star-fangled nut got like that then?

ah-ha!

i am enlightened, thank you. I shall point retrokona in this direction

heh, the star spangled nut was me being a little over-zealous with the tightening :oops:

BobCatMax":7exz79s4 said:
heh, the star spangled nut was me being a little over-zealous with the tightening :oops:
Cripes! I wouldn't like to bump into you in a dark alley then.

A headset needs to be about as tight as a baby's nappy. Think of the poor little bearings getting crushed as you fought that star-fangled nut for supremacy and won.

Still the classic is when people prove how strong they are by using the front mech clamp to destroy their seat tube. Surprising how many people succeed in doing that!

:LOL:

you wouldn't run into me, more like over me...i'm only little

As it happens i didn't realise that i had the cap resting on the top of the tube instead of the stem. Hopefully the bearings took very little mullering than they might have

Back