1997 Kona Cinder Cone - New Pic's (lots) update 13-07-10

So it's a Lave Dome? same frame as a CinderCone and only change in the frame geo is the seat angle by dropping down to 18" from 19" now 74 from 73, but I assume most bikes switch this as they drop down (I know rockies did as well)
Same frame weight as the 1997 (claimed 4.5lb 18") Anthony would know better but probably just the same frame churned out and why not it worked :)

Black back, was it longuns ?

Attachments

• 1996 Kona frame Geo.JPG
    1996 Kona frame Geo.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 3,809
Yep, loguns old frame. His was too small, mine was too big. So we did a part-ex.

In places I can see the sparkly orange colour of the original paint. I quite like it to be honest. Wonder if it can be replicated in powder.

FluffyChicken":16bxvfh7 said:
So it's a Lave Dome? same frame as a CinderCone and only change in the frame geo is the seat angle by dropping down to 18" from 19" now 74 from 73, but I assume most bikes switch this as they drop down (I know rockies did as well)
Same frame weight as the 1997 (claimed 4.5lb 18") Anthony would know better but probably just the same frame churned out and why not it worked :)

Black back, was it longuns ?

Missed your edit....

Its a size smaller than the cinder Cone so less material = lighter.

My observations about the slight differences in geometry were made 'by eye'. Could be the case that this frame was slightly out of manufacturing tolerance, or maybe the 'race light' and 'mountain shock' versions had a slightly different geo to compensate for longer suspension forks. Hopefully Anthony can clarify.

:D just comparative weight I know it'll be lighter for smaller.

There's no mention of Mountain Shock geometry change, I'm sure it was all corrected for them in the first place.
I think I have some Video's of that frame in action over here.

I'd go with 'illusion' for the by eye part, but swing Anthony a PM anyway.
Unless you lined up with the seattube and not axle horizontal..

ANYWAY doesn't matter I look forward to another 12months of building ;)
Going to be the same build in the end or have you already got other changes in mind ?

Geometry

Just to throw a spanner in the works (and speaking from bitter experience) After Joe Murray's association ended with Kona, to keep up with demand the Taiwanese welded frames were often made in different factories and did vary a lot in geometry and weight!! A lot can be defined as that I had 3 97 Lava domes at one time, all 16 inch and they varied by as much as a pound from lightest to heaviest, I don't believe the butting in the tubesets was consistant and held up against each other the head and seat angles were different. Top tubes also varied too in length. :cry:

looks great,id be tempted with a different colour.cant wait for mine to arrive,gonna give it its first ride at big dirty weekender :D

Re: Geometry

Wold Ranger":eoc0e4ci said:
Just to throw a spanner in the works (and speaking from bitter experience) After Joe Murray's association ended with Kona, to keep up with demand the Taiwanese welded frames were often made in different factories and did vary a lot in geometry and weight!! A lot can be defined as that I had 3 97 Lava domes at one time, all 16 inch and they varied by as much as a pound from lightest to heaviest, I don't believe the butting in the tubesets was consistant and held up against each other the head and seat angles were different. Top tubes also varied too in length. :cry:

Any idea about the year this all started happening?

Its interesting about the weight. I remember someone posted about a 17" Cinder Cone frame they had which weighed less that the same size Explosif.

FluffyChicken":2ta3yp5b said:
:D just comparative weight I know it'll be lighter for smaller.

There's no mention of Mountain Shock geometry change, I'm sure it was all corrected for them in the first place.
I think I have some Video's of that frame in action over here.

I'd go with 'illusion' for the by eye part, but swing Anthony a PM anyway.
Unless you lined up with the seattube and not axle horizontal..

ANYWAY doesn't matter I look forward to another 12months of building ;)
Going to be the same build in the end or have you already got other changes in mind ?

Lets see those vids mate :D

Are you mates with Logun then?

nah,he just gives me grief about dcd's lol.......only kidding,weve ride a few times,am i allowed to call you a mate yet ben? :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ANYWAY doesn't matter I look forward to another 12months of building Wink

No, just a respray and maybe a few more trick bits here and there. Nothing major. Might be something other than white tough.

Back