gerrard road bike

clockwork davo

98+ BoTM Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
dug out the old mans road ride, he thinks he had it in the 50,s not sure can anyone shed some light on the matter, he had it build by some bloke called gerrard from the essex area, he later went to jail for stolen goods issues(not sure if thats true, but me dad says it is). so any info on the bike would be great.. :D :D :D

cheers dave

Attachments

• gerrard.jpg
    gerrard.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3,420
gerrard

that the guy the decals match the ones on my old mans ride too small world and since we both have the jail story perhaps its true

Ted Gerrard - one of the first to sell stuff 'on tick' by mail order. Used to advertise regularly in 'Cycling' and 'Sporting Cyclist'. I can scan some old ads if anyone's interested? Ran an 'Independent' (part time semi-pros) team in the late 50's/early 60's (and I have a feeling that John Woodburn and Alf Engers may have ridden for him). Seem to think he ended up in Madeira, helping out with local races there.

EDIT - found an old ad in the March '63 'Sporting Cyclist' for 'The Ted Gerrard Cycle Racing Team Supporters Club'. It wasn't Alf Engers, it was John Harvey, the then current National Champion, John Woodburn and Ged Coles.

Found a frame advert on the back of the Summer 1956 'Coureur' magazine, the very early incarnation of 'Sporting Cyclist'. Also have a page advert of his 'Pay as You Ride' offers if anyone's interested

Attachments

• TG FramesMid56.A.jpg
    TG FramesMid56.A.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 3,365
Re: Ted Gerrard frame

Hi I'm enquiring about the Ted Gerrard bike in the picture. My grandad used to build frames for Ted. I have bought 3 frames of his now, he might have built that one his name Tom braysher. I have got some photos of Ted riding a braysher. Would you be interested in selling the frame? :)

Re: Ted Gerrard frame

Brissa64":1y23pvnh said:
Hi I'm enquiring about the Ted Gerrard bike in the picture. My grandad used to build frames for Ted. I have bought 3 frames of his now, he might have built that one his name Tom braysher. I have got some photos of Ted riding a braysher. Would you be interested in selling the frame? :)
Original post is 9 years old now.

Don't time fly when you're enjoying yourself!

Didn't Tom Braysher also sell frames under his own name? Also, like many other builders BITD he may have built for several retailers. Any idea who else he might have built for?

Back