Claude Butler b/b help (plus...)

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All,

started ripping the CB (possible mid 50's or early 60's) today, going through things and finding out what is usable and what is not.

Having a little trouble getting the Drive side b/b out. Is it Normal, or Left handed thread? :?

It is unfortunately a replacement one, which must have been put in on the previous owners order.

Also is there anyone here who knows if transfers are available, or who knows someone who could make some up?

Many thanks,

Dave

I wouldn't have thought the BB cups were left hand thread, they could just be stuck/siezed, some easing oil, the correct tool and patience should work.

Decals should available from H Lloyds - althoughCB decals/history can be a little complex...

Thanks for the speedy reply Mike.

I have it soaking in WD40 at present, though i might have to take it to my LBS.

I have spent some time looking through catalogs on line, and really am no further forward in my search for a year...

My post here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=#797996

shows the transfers i found, but there is one more i have subsequently found, on both sides of the crossbar, adjacent to the forward braze on for the rear cable. It is the 5 Olympic rings, against a narrow bar, which ends in a double pointed "pennant".

This probably won't be a concours restoration, more like a save what we can, get it working, as a usable classic, but not to tarty. Though the frame will need painting to save it!

Thanks again for your help,

Dave

Dave,

HAve you seen this cracking CB history page? - it includes scans of catalogues from the thirties to late seventies, so hopefully yours should be tucked away in there somewhere: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/

It enabled me to pin my own Claud down to a year and confirm that it was still in as built spec... Keep posting updates, won't you? It will be great watching your Claud come together.

Hi again,

think i might be onto something at last. The frame has NO lugs for a pump, so i am thinking it might be an early 60's Courdon Bleu, from the Holdsworth era. Sold as a frameset, from 1959 to 1970(though with Campag "ends" in '68-70), but built, probably to order by a LBS.

I will have to ask the previous owner what he remembers... :)

Just need to sort out the colours now....

TTFN,

Dave

Update....

Definately a Cordon Bleu, as it has the little square locating lug for aftermarket changers. The previous owner told me yesterday that he bought it second hand about 1970, and thought it was "about 8 years old" when he got it. It was Ruby and Cream. This seems to confirm what i though about it, i.e circa 1962 :D

The transfers seem to be available as mentioned here, but i have yet to contact them about the "signature" which looks a little different to the ones on the lloyds site.

The B/B is still a bit of an enigma. It is a Baylis item, and seems to me to stick out by about 1/4 inch to far on the non-drive side. Anyone have any experience of these, and know what the proper distance should be?

Going to my LBS to see if he can help, tomorrow.

EDIT 4/8/10....I would just like to thank Quest Adventure, Broadwater, Sussex, for their help with my B/B. Just popped in and they did it on the spot. Thanks Guys. :D

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back