Kona Lava Dome 1989/1990

Glosbiker

Retro Newbie
Here is my beloved Kona in it's 'orrible splatter paint: i say horrible because over the years it's faded to a mucky yellow.

I replaced the original chainset many years ago when it wore out for a Sugino Fuse 500 compact when they first came out. The rear derailleur was swopped for a Suntour MD and at the same time I went over to friction with Deore XT thumbies. I replaced the brakes with Diacompe 7 levers and Deore LX cantis. The rims are Mavic 231CDs with the original Suntour hubs which are still as sweet as a nut.

The handlebars were the result of a brainstorm on my part; Scott AT4s and much too narrow. Indeed I'm intending to ditch them in favour of On-One's Mary bar in the next month.

I know I'm a retrogrouch but I don't see the need for front suspension on the chalk downs of Wiltshire. The friction came about through being fed up with indexing going out the moment the rear derailleur touched the side of a rut.

I'm wondering about having the frame resprayed as the paintwork has taken a beating over the years (Clay with flints makes a fine abrasive combound) and I dn't want the frame to rust badly.

Anyway the Kona's given great pleasure over the years; only yesterday my 14 year old son and I steamed over a substantial part of Salisbury Plain with him going backwards on the hills with the weight of his front suspension -hee, hee!

Scott AT4 bars, AT4 Pro's have a dip in the forward section of the bar like on here ➡️

P1010121.jpg

I really like the splatter paint jobs, it would be a shame to get it re-sprayed but if its getting beaten to death then maybe a new lease of life is a good thing.

I'm toying with the idea of collecting a couple of Konas from 1990 'cos I like the paint jobs so much.

Nice comfy Rolls saddle too.. one of my faves :)

Russell":10fu6hak said:
I'm toying with the idea of collecting a couple of Konas from 1990 'cos I like the paint jobs so much.

Snap - have been considering a konasplatterlineup collection myself, they are cool looking and it would be great to see em all together :cool:

Thanks Retrobikeguy.

Thanks for jogging my memory Retrobikeguy. Another little evolutionary cul-de-sac. I have a set of Scott (LeMond) drop in bars (for the road) that lasted about the same amount of time. I was at a race in a forest in Wales and team Raleigh tuned up in their team cars, (we're not worthy!) and kicked our sorry buts. The winner, (Paul Hinton?) used either these bars or proper tri bars. He looked quite good as he lapped us again, and again, and again...

Latest posts

Back