Just for fun - what road bike for £5k?

Without any doubt the Kirk is beautifully made and shows great craftmanship. My thought is the Kirk -and it is not unique in that- is an exponent of another bike culture. In several abroad countries they seem to have and appreciate creations like this and there exist all kinds of subcultures we do not have were I live. As if the bike is more seriously considered a method of individual expression or to make a statement with. As you possibly know everybody overhere rides a bike and by far most do not seek more in it that it has to serve them in going from A to B in a decent maner. The bike is like a tool, including the level of affection that comes with it. I think that is why generally spoken the bikes, also the high end ones, look relatively straightforward and pragmatic. It goes even this far that you won't have an easy job with selling a new lugged steel bike overhere, simply because welded steel outperforms it.

Steve Kish":2i5mwwog said:
Possibly a non-retro Van Nicholas with a flash groupset. :cool:

Oooh, yes please. I specced one of these up a while ago.. just for fun.

Astraeus with Super Record and a few 'upgrades'. 16.5lb, £4900ish

One day.

Do I have to limit it to £5k? I quite fancy dropping the weight to sub 15lb with a fancy wheelset but I'd blow the budget by a few quid :(

Seeing as this is Retrobike, probably a custom Cinelli XCR, a trip down to the factory for them to build it up and a ride around Lake Como and up to the Chapel of Madonna di Ghisallo. Probably need to compromise in terms of a Chorus groupset and maybe some gold PMP hubs to go with the pair of NOS OR10 rims I've got awaiting to go on something special...

I'd buy a Campag spec'd Bianchi for £750 and blow the rest on a fortnights meandering ride through France to Switzerland scoffing fine food and drinking fine wine as I went.

No point wasting good money on a really lightweight bike when you are 16stone yourself :)

Will :)

willbowden":1yrxuj1h said:
I'd buy a Campag spec'd Bianchi for £750 and blow the rest on a fortnights meandering ride through France to Switzerland scoffing fine food and drinking fine wine as I went.

No point wasting good money on a really lightweight bike when you are 16stone yourself :)

Will :)

I'm not 16 stone but am with you all the way on this one.

My thoughts are:

Compact Moots (must have matching Moots stem and seatpost)
-or-
Indy Fab 953 (definitely must have a pair of these forks)

I don't like aluminium or crabon fribé frames.

I'd have to think about the running gear. If we are sticking with the all-new, easily-bought-from-a-shop type kit then I think 7900 for a Moots and Campagnolo for an Indy Fab, but I'd get stuck on current groupsets. SRAM looks a bit too loud for me. I really don't like 7900 levers and I am not interested in 11-speed set-ups, carbon cranksets or skeleton brakes. There's no way I'd get fancy wheels. I like 28 or 32-spoke reliability, Open Pros and that noise a King makes.

My Lynskey has 7800 and sits on Dura Ace hubs / Open Pro CD rims. It's about the most perfect thing I could imagine riding and I can't imagine changing it... I guess I'd buy a better MTB and steadily burn the rest of the money away somewhere hot in a bar on beach, off my head on Ouzo.

Have this £7000+ build :D knocking about the house at the mo and it is sweeeeeeet! Full polished finish, Industy Nine wheels, Sram Red, Zipp Carbon stem ...mmmmmmm

Tad to big for me in the leg but a custom geo would sort that oot when I put my hand in the pocket to get one........ :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 940
Back