Need help dying or coloring Titanium

kokies

Retro Guru
I picked up a Ti stem that I wanna turn black-ish, but I do not want to paint it. Does anyone know a way to die or color Ti similar to anodizing Aluminum?

Wouldn't like to try it on a piece of kit you want to keep without first trying it old on a piece of scrap first (if scrap titanium exists!) Hows about gun/rifle bluing? Seem to recall its some sort of steel/acid reaction so whether it will work on titanium I don't know. Don't suppose anyone has ever tried it!! Ask your friendly local gunsmith.

do a search, alu anodizing has been discussed on both STW & southern DH forums & apparently isnt that difficult. not so sure about Ti.
anodnized ti is cool tho :D

anodizing is the surface oxidation of aluminium IIRC, but titanium is a pretty unreactive metal (hence it doesn't need to be painted) so I imagine that it won't work for Ti (or steel due to the large difference in oxide volume, hence why rust flakes off).

I'd say that some form of painting/staining is going to be your best bet...

kona kid":3vqjq8cz said:
anodizing is the surface oxidation of aluminium IIRC, but titanium is a pretty unreactive metal (hence it doesn't need to be painted) so I imagine that it won't work for Ti (or steel due to the large difference in oxide volume, hence why rust flakes off).

I'd say that some form of painting/staining is going to be your best bet...

dude, anodizing deffo works for ti, check the link pete put up ;)
headtube badge of the fat chance 10th anniversary is leni fried anodnized ti :)

anodizing Ti is actually easier and safer than Al if I remember correctly. I use to mess with radio controled cars and little Ti and Al parts are anodized to death all the time. I'll dig out my old magazines...something like Ti can be blue anodized using batteries and Coke.

Anyone got a can of Coke they are willing to part with? Please give price with shipping to the US.

I don't think I'd mind trying to anodise a 50p ali bolt- if it goes wrong, which the first few would undoubtedly, I wouldn't mind throwing it out. Not so sure about doing the same with a £100 ti stem....

Back